Southern section of CS8 any good?

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone cycled the bit of CS8 south of the river to Wandsworth? Any good? Better than Lots/Townmead Rds/Wandsworth Bridge?

After a problem with the central locking/alarm system of my car last night I've had to move it to a more secure location to prevent it being destroyed by irate neighbours. It's currently being looked at by a servicing place on Kimber Road. Cycled from there to work via Wandsworth Bridge and the racetrack but seemed a bit of a trek plus Lots Rd isn't that nice so was looking for a better way back tonight. CS8 seemed an option, as did CS7 then cutting through Battersea.

As an aside I thought the mechanics would take the mick as I got the bike out of the car and ditched the baggies I'd driven in to reveal Castelli lycra but the guy I got talking to is a keen cyclist himself and we spent five minutes discussing wheels as he's got a pair the same as mine. Hopefully won't cost as much as a new wheelset to get the problem fixed.
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    You can go over BB which brings you out pretty much at the start of the racetrack. You only miss a bit of Cheyne Walk which is always rammed with traffic anyway. I'm not all that keen on BB as it's pretty narrow and ...er .. always rammed with traffic.

Cutting through Battersea Park can be nice although not really conducive for speed. I did that when I had a broken finger and wanted to hide from all the frantic racing action :oops:

You've also got the option of going all the way down to Vauxhall Cross. After Battersea it opens out and is a good straight run in. Not sure what like the surface is these days as it's a bit out of my way.

I do prefer WB for crossing although I would tend to go all the way up to Parsons Green. I'm not keen on Chelsea Harbour route as the road surface is shee-ite and there are speed bumps.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Keyser, that's my normal commute. TBH none of the routes are great. Kurako's hit the nail on the head with the Battersea Park or Vauxhal routes. You can do the full length of WB Road but you've then got to do NKR and then right onto Embankment, which is full of traffic and slow cyclists so is best avoided. TBH the Lotts Road route, while not great, is the lesser of 3 eveils. Just be careful when heading west. The road surface after Imperial Wharf is pretty poor up to the first zebra crossing. Get in the primary and stay there. Jon Ginge made the mistake of following me that way once and got bounced around somethign rotten.

Once past Wandsworth Bridge RB, assuming you're turning right, take the left before Homebase. It takes you past Wandsworth Town station and is a quieter route to the 1 way system than staying on the 2 lane highway of death. If you're sneaky you can avoid the RB completely by use of the ped/cycle crossings, but that's up to you.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Concur. CS8 is mostly fine, I use it everyday Wandsworth up to London Bridge. Usually get a clear run headed West until York Road. The run into Vauxhall is fantastic, smooth surface and a wide, not too busy road.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Keyser, that's my normal commute. TBH none of the routes are great. Kurako's hit the nail on the head with the Battersea Park or Vauxhal routes. You can do the full length of WB Road but you've then got to do NKR and then right onto Embankment, which is full of traffic and slow cyclists so is best avoided. TBH the Lotts Road route, while not great, is the lesser of 3 eveils. Just be careful when heading west. The road surface after Imperial Wharf is pretty poor up to the first zebra crossing. Get in the primary and stay there. Jon Ginge made the mistake of following me that way once and got bounced around somethign rotten.

Once past Wandsworth Bridge RB, assuming you're turning right, take the left before Homebase. It takes you past Wandsworth Town station and is a quieter route to the 1 way system than staying on the 2 lane highway of death. If you're sneaky you can avoid the RB completely by use of the ped/cycle crossings, but that's up to you.

As an alternative and slower route, you can turn left at first roundabout after imperial wharf then head down to the path by the river which is cycle friendly, then back out at Sainsbury's not quicker but scenic. Although in heavy traffic it might be quicker....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Keyser, that's my normal commute.

My commiserations. Now I see why you're so keen to keep on heading over to the park :p

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately car is in for at least another day so it's going to be a) expensive and b) a normal commute home for me. Legs aren't great today else I'd be in the park myself.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • sketchley
    Went this way this morning. Hated it. The none CS8 bit from Battersea down to Vauxhall was the only bit I liked. The rest of the route did not a lot to keep the traffic out and clear the way. I know it's not finished but there is not enough room for bike lane, bus lane and traffic lane. Every junction big queue of buses and no way through. So i doubt it will improve much.
    --
    Chris

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Sketchley wrote:
    Went this way this morning. Hated it. The none CS8 bit from Battersea down to Vauxhall was the only bit I liked. The rest of the route did not a lot to keep the traffic out and clear the way. I know it's not finished but there is not enough room for bike lane, bus lane and traffic lane. Every junction big queue of buses and no way through. So i doubt it will improve much.

You can miss out a lot of the nastiness on Battersea Park Road by taking any of the lefts down towards Prince Of Wales Dr which takes you past the south side of the park. Then when you get to the roundabout you go straight over and under the bridge. That brings you out at the Dogs Home meaing you've missed the junction with QTR.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Sketchley wrote:

What sort of time? I bundle through between 7:30 and 7:40 and find it's a great route...

Horses for courses.
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

What sort of time? I bundle through between 7:30 and 7:40 and find it's a great route...

Horses for courses.

I was late, about 8.30 at a guess.
    --
    Chris