Another newbie, after a little advice

Amanensia
Amanensia Posts: 13
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I've not cycled for a long time, but just dusted off my old Scott hybrid for the first time in years and am looking for some advice.

A little background: I'm a 40 year old male, was very unfit until the start of this year but have been running for the last few months. Got to the point where I'd lost four stone and could run 10km, then hip started to act up a few weeks ago so I switched to mostly gym work, but miss being outside, so decided to go back to the cycling. I'm still doing the gym work (40 mins cardio, 30 mins resistance) every other day, but the plan is to cycle once every four days (so doing a routine of gym, bike, gym, rest every four days.)

I went out for my first cycle a couple of days ago, and did a 20 mile loop, but pitifully slowly (Garmin analysis linked below.) 13.5mph on a fairly flat course apart from one nasty 10% hill which stopped me dead in my tracks.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89187838

Other than the hill it wasn't too tough really (unsurprising given the pace, I guess), apart from a predictably numb bum. Just bought some padded undershorts which I'll try out next time (Madisons - are they any good? - if not what else would you recommend?)

My bike is a Scott Sportster hybrid, about five years old, and hasn't seen much use since the first six months I had it. It's mostly factory spec but I've changed the tyres for Schwalbe Marathon Pluses (I heard they are as close to puncture-proof as you'll get) and will probably change the saddle if the numb bum doesn't settle down in the next few weeks. I've also swapped the cleated pedals out for some basic flats as I don't have cleat shoes - at my level, is it really worthwhile going with cleats?

Cycling isn't planned to be my main focus, although who knows if that may change over time - it's just one day out of four as a break from the gym. My main aim is to use it just as a cardio workout, and I guess it's fulfilling that role just fine already, but I figure I may as well try to up distances a bit and see if I can take on some more serious rides eventually. Would I be better off trying to up distances asap, or stick to shortish rides and work on my speed a bit first?

I know it's all a bit vague but any general advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    You will probably find that in 2 months time you will have spent £2000 on a road bike, decent kit, cleats, shoes, helmet, ditched the gym and everything else, and most of your waking day will consists of thinking about riding further, quicker, better, sprinting, hills, sportives, club runs, racing and find that anytime you have a momentary lapse where you think of something other than cycling, you begin to sweat and get the shakes.

Welcome back to Cycling. :lol:
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    If you are using cycling primarily for cardio & fitness, as per your post, then I would suggest that your 20 mile loop is a good distance. Based on your current speed, you can have a 10-15 minute warm up, a good hour's blast or decent intervals session and a 10 minute warm down at the end.
  • You will probably find that in 2 months time you will have spent £2000 on a road bike, decent kit, cleats, shoes, helmet, ditched the gym and everything else, and most of your waking day will consists of thinking about riding further, quicker, better, sprinting, hills, sportives, club runs, racing and find that anytime you have a momentary lapse where you think of something other than cycling, you begin to sweat and get the shakes.

Sigh. Took less than two months, in fact. I'm now getting up an hour earlier and fitting in quick 20-milers before work every day, plus a bigger Saturday morning ride. On a new carbon road bike. And yeah, the gym is pretty much history...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited August 2011
    Amanensia wrote:
    You will probably find that in 2 months time you will have spent £2000 on a road bike, decent kit, cleats, shoes, helmet, ditched the gym and everything else, and most of your waking day will consists of thinking about riding further, quicker, better, sprinting, hills, sportives, club runs, racing and find that anytime you have a momentary lapse where you think of something other than cycling, you begin to sweat and get the shakes.

Sigh. Took less than two months, in fact. I'm now getting up an hour earlier and fitting in quick 20-milers before work every day, plus a bigger Saturday morning ride. On a new carbon road bike. And yeah, the gym is pretty much history...
    Well done chaps. Another one in the bag.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Amanensia wrote:

Lol top post !