Seating an awkward tyre?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
For some reason the front tyre is having fun at my expense and will not seat correctly all the way around the rim. The tyre is a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on WTB Laserdisc rim.

I've read about this before and seen that the best way is to over-inflate and the tyre will pop into place. This is the first time I have ever had a tyre not seat correctly, so I suppose I can't complain too much.

I've inflated the tyre (it's like a rock) and all but one area has now popped into place. I'm wary of inflating it any more (I'm a bit of a girl-pants), as I'm not sure what pressure is in there as my guage on my presta pump is not very reliable.

The tyre states min. 30psi - max. 50psi, and my mini-pump is saying it's 30 psi, but that can't be correct as it's absolutely solid. The tyre profile very slightly drops to one side (drive side) where the tyre is not quite seated correctly. Eveywhere else appears to be sorted

Should I just leave it to pop into place of its own accord when riding etc? Or, should I go psycho on it and try to get some more air in there?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Try pulling the tyre. Hands at 90 degrees to wheel with fingers on the stuck side and thumbs on the other and then pull the tyre towards you
  • try just a little bit of very soapy water on the tyre bead. it might just help it to pop into place a little easier.

if that still wont work then try and get hold of a pump with a more reliable pressure gauge. putting 60 or 70 psi into it just to get the bead seated, and then deflating back to a normal pressure shouldn't cause any harm.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Thanks, I'll give both suggestions a try.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Johnny Napalm
    Sorted!

I deflated the tyre, squirted a little soapy water along the bead, manipulated and inflated. According to my pump I only had 40psi in there when it popped.

Cheers, guys...I'm off out for a ride.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Hope you dont need to get them off again in a hurry, thay can be a real pain to get off.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Yeah, I know what you mean...I've had the same problem with the Nobby Nics on this rim.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super