Best route from Aldgate to Kew (tonight)..

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
and back in the morning?

A suggested route is:
Fenchurch St - Monument - Upper Thames St - through the tunnel onto Embankment then all the way along Millbank - Grosvenor Rd - Chelsea Embankment - Kings Road, over the river at Fulham, then Lower Richmond Road - Barnes Common - Mortlake Road back over the river on Kew Bridge and left onto Kew Bridge Road...

Or is there a shorter/easier/more direct route? And is that route good in reverse?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2372909

Was the last route I took. Granted, it was a Bridges ride
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    and back in the morning?

A suggested route is:
    Fenchurch St - Monument - Upper Thames St - through the tunnel onto Embankment then all the way along Millbank - Grosvenor Rd - Chelsea Embankment - Kings Road, over the river at Fulham, then Lower Richmond Road - Barnes Common - Mortlake Road back over the river on Kew Bridge and left onto Kew Bridge Road...

Or is there a shorter/easier/more direct route? And is that route good in reverse?
    Sounds fine, except if you go over Kew Bridge you'll have left Kew behind and you'll be in Brentford.

Don't take richSVrich's route, you won't want to be riding down the A4
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    You can cycle from Embankment to Hammersmith via Northumberland Ave, Mall, Hyde Park then A315 and from Hammersmith to the A316 avoiding the A4 via Furnivall Gardens, Chiswick Mall, Pumping Station Road, Edensor Road - I do it all the time. Be careful through the Dove passage and the bit near the Old Ship pub tho, lots of pedestrians and rowing boats being moved to/from the river. Whether it's quicker than the route via Putney really depends on whereabouts in Kew you're going - south of the river (ie Kew) or north (really Brentford) - Chiswick High St (A315) isn't that bad to cycle from Hammersmith and takes you straight to Kew Bridge.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 04456&z=14
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Thanks all.. in the end I chose the more direct route via Hyde Park/South Carriage Drive, then A315 and avoiding the Chiswick Roundabout via Wellesley Rd, and pretty much the same in reverse. A very nice ride and so many more cyclists (and nodders) than my normal route... the one way bit of King St (A315) is quite pleasant, but the highlight was the Mall, that was fun with about 30 in the peleton. Surprisingly Embankment was a bit sparse...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: