Any ideas for making a wheel bag for one off event?

lvquestpaddler
lvquestpaddler Posts: 416
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Got an event coming up next month, wheel change involved and just found out I need the spares in a bag/box.
Spares will be with road tyres but I'd need one to take the xc set with 2.1 trailrakers as they come off first and I (hopefully) finish on the road tyres.
The wheels have discs and I've no idea how carefully they will be handled but have thought of making one primarily out of heavy duty bubblewrap(I work next to a canoe shop and can get a fair bit of this) and gaffa tape, with some cardboard inserts to separate the wheels and for the outers(so> bubblewrap/card/wheel/card/wheel/card/bubblewrap)
I figure the discs would be best to the inner side in case somebody is cack handed ior just reckless handling them at the transition.
Anyone made any? Any advice? :P

Comments

• Can you not remove the discs and hand carry them?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Trail Rakers are the slowest tyres ever, not what I'd choose for an event unless it was insanely muddy, in which case I'd personally choose Mud Xs or 1.5" Schwalbe Black Sharks, YMMV of course.

Anyway... why not just buy some wheelbags? They're not particularly expensive, and if you have a spare set of wheels it'll keep them nice and make transporting them easier.

What's the event? If it's in part on road I'm going to hazard a guess that the off road isn't that hardcore. What about some fast off road tyres, like Furious Freds, and don't swap wheels at all.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Can you not remove the discs and hand carry them?

surely that would mean ages spent bolting discs to the rotors, probably not what he wants to do during a (timed?) event.

A load of bubblewrap will work fine
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Sorry but carrying the discs and changing them? dumbest idea I've ever heard, would be quicker stuffing the road tyres in a shoebox and changing them....
    Njee- the event is the Corrieyairack Challenge in Scotland. Starts at Fort Augustus and there's a steady 9 mile climb to the top of this historic pass from 60ft to an altitude of around 2550ft at the summit. I'm fairly certain that will include a fair bit of pushing but the 7 miles down the other side is steep, huge rocks and boulders(it's been described as like a dry river bed) and I'll want the grip the trailrakers offer. Obviously I won't do the last 26 on the road on these tyres cos I know just how awful they are on tarmac!
    Bubblewrap it is then! 8)
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    If you lock the wheels together using the discs (like in this vid it should help against damage.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    If it's rock then don't use trailrakers, use a standard XC tyre as a mud tyre is less grippy on dry rocks than a 'normal' tyre. Trailrakers are for mad mud and don't run very well either.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some for sale here
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... hlight=xtr

This is someone who posts here as well, could be The BIG Cheese (from memory)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The blurb for trailrakers says:
    Designed specifically for the U.K., the trailraker can handle a multitude of wintery conditions from deep mud to slippery roots and rocks

Wintery conditions where I live are pretty much all year round which is why I use them, they are hideously slow I agree- so can anyone suggest an alternative they think would be better?