Which commuting rucksack?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
So, a few weeks ago I moved into London and I now cycle into work most days. With all the stuff I've got to carry though think i need a bit of a bag upgrade, my current Eastpak 24L job just isn't cutting it. What with work clothes, gym stuff, spare bike bits, shower stuff there isn't much room, plus it's good to have a bit of room to pick stuff up on your way home.

Had a look at some of the big Northface daypacks todaym they seem pretty popular, perhaps they're the way to go?

Comments

• motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    I have a Karrimor 25liter Airspace bag which hates me and I hate it!

I would not recomend an 'airspace' bag as
    - they still push your shirt/ jacket onto your back so you are still sweaty (maybe just sweaty old me though!)
    - the inside is banana shaped and everything has to be stuffed in

avoid lots of compression straps (unless you need them) as I have found these get tangled on everything the bag gets near when I'm carrying it.

try and get a bag with a rain cover - the Karrimor Airspace 25 does have one, although these can be bought seperately for bags 25l+

chest and decent waist straps are good.

reflective bits and places to hang lights from are good (but won't work under the shower cap)

TNF have a really good warranty system in the unlikely event of a fault developing, but so do most reputable manufacturers

hope that helps
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    [cough]panniers[cough]
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    I had a similar issue (actually my 30l Deuter died rather than being unpleasant per se), I've ended up with an Osprey Manta 30. It's got an amazing hydration system in it, which I take out for commuting (but have if I need it), very comfortable harness system, light, and has room for full change of clothes inc shoes and towel in the main compartment (and about 5l left over), before I've started filling the numerous pockets.
    Very happy with my purchase - not a bike-specific model (though it has bike functions like a helmet loop), but very comfortable on the bike.

not cheap either, but there you go.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Cheap and cheerful; Alpkit Gourdon. Waterproof, available in bright orange, I can see mine lasting forever.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Danny1962
    Danny1962 Posts: 58
    I've got a hi-vis yellow one with reflective bands, I got it from the Site Supply Company.
    http://www.hivis.net/14/Site-Equipment/ ... -Rucksack/

It's done me well, a zipper failed once but I watched a you tube video, got a pair of pliers to it and a safety pin and it's all fixed again
    :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    [cough]panniers[cough]

Must be catching!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    How far is your commute ?

Can you leave clothes at work ?
  • cyclingtaz
    cyclingtaz Posts: 326
    will3 wrote:
    [cough]panniers[cough]

its is catching used to always have backpacks but got a cheap clamp on rack and set of panniers from tescos ( i know cheap and chearfull but have a very tight budget)and would now not go back makes a world of difference and will give you more packing space without haveing a bulky bag on your back
    "you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    [cough]panniers[cough]

Must be catching!

Simon

Ahhh-choooo-panniers-hoooooooooo!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    hiccup hic hcipanniers hiccup

But i sometimes use backpacks as well.
    Are those helmet retaining flaps any use?
  • El Selb
    i've got panniers with the bike actually, an all in one sort of thing that fits over the top with bags either side. bit of a palava taking it on and off though and ther bags a bit too clumsy to take the gym at lunch.......plus the rack makes my bike look rubbish of course!

Think a rucksack is going to be the way to go unless i do any sort of distance.......
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    So get proper panniers. Ortleib, Vaudeville etc.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • If you don't like panniers how about a rack bag?

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bicycle-accessories/bags/rack-bags?sort=asc&price_from=&price_to=&brand=&per_page=20

I've been looking at getting one to take the weight off my back whilst cycling and It seems like they could fit a briefcase/satchel/laptop bag inside if you wanted something to carry around with you. Or some seem easy to unclip and take with you.
  • Nulli
    Nulli Posts: 29
    This looks a nice pack. I dont have one yet but I would like one if were not for the price! I like the look of it so might just save my pennies and indulge myself soon.

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=8741

Trek 7.5fx
  • El Selb
    Nulli wrote:
    This looks a nice pack. I dont have one yet but I would like one if were not for the price! I like the look of it so might just save my pennies and indulge myself soon.

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=8741

this pack looks bloody good!

just not quite big enough though....would kinda like a pack that would I could take away for weekends (off my bike) too....perhaps i'm trying to cover too many bases
  • +1 for the Alpkit Gourdon. Ace bit of kit.
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=295
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com