08 DJ1 stiffness

Cerberus90
Cerberus90 Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Used to be around here a long time ago when it was the MBUK forum, then dropped out of biking for a few years, but now I'm back.

So, I'm helping my friend with his bike, he's got some 08 Dirt Jumper 1s.

They are very stiff.

We thought it might be that there was too much oil in, so we took the tops off, there seemed to be about 150ml oil in both legs.

However, in the left leg, there was the solid tube with the adjuster knob on the outside, which was very stiff to compress. This is what seems to be making the fork so stiff we think.

We put 150ml oil in the right leg, and then 30ml in the other leg to see if it made any difference to the stiffness, but it didn't really do much.

Can anyone help with tips on what to do, or whether DJ1s are supposed to be very stiff, they only seem to move about 10-20mm travel when you bounce on them while stationary.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Air or coil fork? What sag are you getting?
  • Its got oil in both legs, an schrader valve on one leg which is just for pre-load.
    And its got a long coil spring in that leg.
    The other leg has the stiff rod thing in it.

No sag at all. Even with 0psi air in it. And the adjuster knob all the way counter-clockwise.

No idea of these high-tech internals of the forks, :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ah the good old suntor cartridge. it is fubard. there is a
    Mod that can be done to change it into a type of open bath cartridge I will see what I can find.

But new cart or new fork are the other options.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ah.

The guy who he swapped with said that the forks had just been serviced. :roll:

If the parts are available to fix it I reckon I could do it, pretty handy with the spanners, and there's not that much to them really.

Surprised that the top of the range zocchi DJ fork uses Suntor internals, :D

Thanks anyway.
  • Just found this, looks like this is what needs doing.

Thanks for the help, been excellent.