Endomondo safety feature

Too old for this
Too old for this Posts: 128
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I don't know if any one else has picked up on this feature in endomondo, but while I'm out on my bike my missus can log in and see where i am, sounds a bit like big brother :roll: but if i have a serious off whilst on my own and don't return at roughly the time that i said at least she would know where i was to get some help if necessary.

Comments

• hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    There's folk talking about it in this recent thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12779236
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Hmmmmm interesting. Best not stop off for a shag with the woman down the street next time then ;-)
  • Hey - that's my wife pal!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    If you turn on the "pep-talk" feature, she can nag you while you're out on a ride too.

"Bring a pint of milk back with you"
    "you left your dirty pants in the bathroom again"

and so on.
  • That's my wife too!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    My wife would say stuff like de motivational stuff like.

"Come home if your tired, I got you some beer"
    "It's raining, your going to get wet, I baked you some cakes"

Very cool but not what you want when you are trying to stay motivated.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    My wife would say stuff like de motivational stuff like.

"Come home if your tired, I got you some beer"
    "It's raining, your going to get wet, I baked you some cakes"

Fek, that's my Mrs... :o
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I once called my wife after an all day session out around Darwen Moors and Rivington. I was struggling on my way home with no water for the last 3 hours. I called and quickly sad battery is running low, struggling, I am in tree plantation 3 led down. Hope to see you seen but got to go. She said good, I am watching Coronation Street and...
    Must buy a spare battery for my mobile....
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    So glad I don't use endomondo, never found it quite up to the quality I wanted, and with that feature added on top, has made my mind up.

I'm pissed off enough about the whole phone companies being able to track via wireless towers, now by GPS, bad enough!
  • Mojo_666
    So glad I don't use endomondo, never found it quite up to the quality I wanted, and with that feature added on top, has made my mind up.

I'm pissed off enough about the whole phone companies being able to track via wireless towers, now by GPS, bad enough!

For Real? You are actually bothered by that?
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Mojo_666 wrote:

For Real? You are actually bothered by that?

Not bothered, but more of an extremely annoyed. I hate the feeling of having people looking over your back so to speak.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I think it's a great feature. I have followed my brother's progress a couple of times. It's also very reassuring to know that I could be found if I had an off.

Only wish endomondo had an auto start/stop on blackberry as it seems to on android.
  • Rybes
    Rybes Posts: 110
    does this need to have a full time internet connection on the phone or is it signal based. had a look on their site but cant find out ? i dont have net access on my phone ya see
    2004 cinder cone, grey
    madison prime seat
    3 inch handle bar risers
    bg comfort grips
    lidl seat pack
    diamond back pedals
    2009 reba sl's
    more to come......
  • Mojo_666
    Rybes wrote:
    does this need to have a full time internet connection on the phone or is it signal based. had a look on their site but cant find out ? i dont have net access on my phone ya see

The app uses GPS not phone signal or wifi, so long as you have line of sight with the sky (The gps satelites) it will function.
  • darpots
    darpots Posts: 12
    I find that the Endomondo app is pretty darn accurate even when the phone is stuffed away in my saddle bag. Also much safer in there than in my pocket, or mounted on my bars.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    To be fair, it's not like just anyone can track your whereabouts on Endomondo like some people here seem to think.

First off, you actually have to be recording a workout at the time. If you're not recording, your GPS is not on.

You also have to have the "auto-upload" feature turned on for people to see your real-time location. Otherwise it's just stored to your phone and uploaded in 1 chunk when you choose to do it.

AND even then, you can set the privacy on your workouts from public (everyone can see them), to friends only, and even private if you want to.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    darpots wrote:
    I find that the Endomondo app is pretty darn accurate even when the phone is stuffed away in my saddle bag. Also much safer in there than in my pocket, or mounted on my bars.

This ^

Mine lives in my camelbak and seems to do a pretty spot-on job of recording all the big stuff you want, distance, altitude etc.

Never seems to have any issues with signal loss even in deep dark plantations.

For a free app, imho it's massively impressive.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    There's loads of similar apps. Strava is a better website but misses the odd useful feature.

Most phones these days use a combination of GPS and cell tower positioning to work out where you are. As for the poster who doesn't like phone companies knowing where you are, what on earth did you think would happen if you have a phone. You connect to a tower, they know where that tower is, ergo they know approximately where you are. But they have so much data it's only used typically when the police ask.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Erm, you DO realise that the phone picking out the strongest signal from the towers is funda-frikking-mental to how mobiles work, right?
  • Atz
    No, he doesn't. However his tinfoil hat is helping focus his mental rays on increasing the understandingness of modernist technicalities
  • Anonymous
    Sports Tracker used to have this feature. For some reason they removed it.

Another neat tracker app anyway and soon to come to iPhone and Android (having long since been on Nokia for free).
  • Atz
    I track with Endomondo and then import into Strava :)
  • Anonymous
    Just taking a look at Strava, importing from ST.

The segment recognition & comparison stuff is nice. Shame it limits to 5 uploads a month for free though.
  • Atz
    I googled for a voucher code for a free 3-month trial which is the full thing
  • Atz
    Odd. On the climb, in your track it says you were up in 12, the overall standings has you a few secs after me.
  • Anonymous
    I uploaded an old one also and it's saying I'm 7th overall yet that one was up in 10 (a year ago, so shows I'm getting worse!). Maybe that's confused it.

Though the GPS on yesterdays is quite screwy. There's a problem with ST that it's not doing GPS filtering properly, though I've seen similar with others. Still the Radnor climbs seem okay.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Rybes wrote:

The app uses GPS not phone signal or wifi, so long as you have line of sight with the sky (The gps satelites) it will function.

The stalking thing wouldn't work without signal though I don't think. GPS receivers are just that, there's no means of tracking someone just by GPS.
  • Atz
    Phone GPS use a combination as I said but unless you're uploading, it's not like loads of people can find you. The police could though, with a court order.
  • Anonymous
    Most use Assisted GPS these days which use a tiny bit of your Internet connection via your operator to improve the lock on of the signal, usually speeding it up.

Some add things like cell and wifi positioning, though these are generally used to provide a position based on the cells, or a known wifi access point. Used in the absence of a decent GPS signal.

On my Nokia I can choose which positioning systems to use. I can also turn everything off except basic GPS. That and turning off Internet connection in whatever tracker app I use means there's no signal going back.

I could be extra paranoid and switch the phone to offline mode ("in flight" or whatever other phones call it) which disables outbound comms. Done this on a plane before as they have to be turned off or switched to offline, and I could still get a GPS signal. The tracking on that went nuts at 500mph! :D

Or just take the SIM card out ;)
  • Anonymous
    If you have a phone though, it has to choose which mast to use, ergo, it must have an idea of your location. Quit being paranoid.