Bike friendly accommodation - Exmoor

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I'm looking for a road bike friendly B&B in Exmoor Devon for me and my girlfriend.

The closer to Lynmouth the better but anywhere in Exmoor will do.

Any recommendations?
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can't help with Exmoor but I've never had a problem taking a bike to a B&B. There's always some secure storage facility around that the owner is happy to house your pride & joy in. And Travelodge managers seem quite relaxed about bikes staying in rooms with you, from my own and other anecdotal experience. Best not to leave chain marks on the sheets though.

If in doubt a phone call prior to booking will give you the answer ether way.
  • Hi, I am in Lynton 8)

Can't think of that many places that have secure storage indoors but most have a space 'around the back' thats secure. There virtually NO crime here so you needn't worry too much.

Tripadvisor.co.uk is probably your best bet to guage what places are like. I live here so I don't have first hand experience :)

Of the Pubs the Rising Sun in Lynmouth is the best, Blue Ball at Countisbury is also good.

If you need any route tips just ask 8)

Will :)
    www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
    www.ExmoorCentre.co.uk - cheap remote bunkhouse accomodation.
  • We just spent a week at the Seawood hotel, it is just at the top of the cliff railway, so is very convenient. The hosts are very friendly, but as someone has already said, no specific bike storage.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    Thanks for your replies.

As you have suggested CiB, I have got in touch with a few, looks promising. As you say, most seem to have some sort of locked shed facility :)

Will - I am familiar with the area having visited before but never with bikes. With the girlfriend in tow, can't be planning owt too ambitious. Hopefully I can attempt a few climbs like Dunkery and the road from Lynmouth to Countisbury/Lynmouth to Lynton. Both killer 25%!

Can I ask where the nearest decent bike shop is?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there MaxwellBygraves, I know Ralph Colman's shop in Taunton is supposed to be very good but that is a bit of a way. Only a couple of small shops in Minehead to my knowledge.

I can thoroughly recommend the toll road in Porlock (costs £1) which has been resurfaced, has stunning views and is a nice even gradient all the way up (spintastic, which your better half may enjoy more). I'm off that way later tonight for a nice route tomorrow, Minehead/Porlock/Lynmouth/Simonsbath, etc. All very nice and lumpy, followed by the Glastonbury levels on Sunday :)

Might be worth you contacting the Minehead cycling club who are a very friendly bunch. They should be able to offer a few local pointers on accomodation/shops, etc. I am fortunate enough to be staying at my mother in law's, complete with large bike shed full of bike stuff and even a spare Merican bike!
  • Nearest bike shops are Minehead as above and Barnstaple.

The hills are decent around here. If you get overtaken by a skinney 11 year on a blue road bike or a Land Rover MTB it'll be my eldest, he does Countisbury fairly regularly and talks all the way up, its soul destroying to ride with him ;)

Will :)
    www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
    www.ExmoorCentre.co.uk - cheap remote bunkhouse accomodation.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    All booked up in a nice looking b&b in Lynton.

The toll road climb, is that the one that leaves Porlock Weir and is called Worthy Toll road on google maps?

Any other route tips?

Thanks
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    You must incorporate Simonsbath to Lynmouth over the top of the moor and down through exmoor forest. Beautiful road.

If you want to sweat you have two unpleasant but rideable routes out of Lynmouth, the most direct route up to Lynton is insanely steep but worthwhile. Route out of Lynmouth up Countisbury hill is less steep but longer and then continues in breathtaking fashion all the way to Porlock, down the toll road and back up the business end (steep A road) would me my preferred route. The route back along the top to Lynmouth from Porlock is the best way around to ride it as the view of Lynmouth as you are coming down past the Blue Ball inn is also mind blowing.

Dunkery is easy from south and hard from the north. Both ways are very beautiful.

Try and find the Poltimore arms, that'll take you over some nice roads and it's a top pub too.

If you want a serious test then I think the two sternest challenges in the area are Challacombe hill hill in Woolacombe and Shute lane coming up out of Combe Martin, in fact you can go over the top and down to the Hunters Inn in for a spot of refreshment on route back to Lynton via the Valley of the rocks. Stunning.

If you want to see the steepest road in the area (still rideable if you've got balls) then locate a little village called Charles on the map and ride up to it from the A399.

Let me know how you get on.
  • snipz
    snipz Posts: 85
    I used to live at the top of Charles/Brayford....farm called Shutescombe. Only way up was 1-3/1-4/1-5. Did it on a BMX when I were a teen :shock:.

Some good hills around Meshaw Moor too, come off Anstey Common and cross the link road.

10 miles on Exmoor is like 30 miles elsewhere....no flat at all.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there, not sure what to recommend route-wise because you haven't outlined the kind of distance or toughness. Jim has listed a few great options, as well as the tough stuff. As per posts, etc., the B3223 from the top of Watersmeet over to Simonsbath is really nice and the Watersmeet climb out of Lynton is fairly gentle (spinnable) and a nice way to kick off. It does get a bit tougher later up to the top of the moor and you haven't really got much chance of getting a few miles in before climbing but there you go.

The Porlock toll road is the one marked "New Road" that wiggles out of Porlock after the village hall on the right and rejoins the A39. Well recommended for on your way back (it costs £1 and is well worth, although I still have yet to pay :oops: ).

I would avoid doing too much of the A39 between Minehead and Willton, (and the A358, etc.), because it can get very busy and narrow (not a good combo) but it is ok for short spells or crossing.

Might be worth also looking at some of the old TOB routes which took in the area and you could cobble something together from those.

Enjoy your break.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    Had a fantastic time in Exmoor - thanks for the tips.

The climb from Lynmouth to Simonsbath was truly awesome, I loved it!!

I will admit though, that I died on my *rse going up from Hunters Inn to Martinhoe! Got half way up then the legs turned to jelly...was so tired I struggled to walk up!

For someone who is used to riding round rural Cambridgeshire, it was a shock!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Good work Max.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Local cyclists call the hill you died on 'the wall'. You know why.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    jim453 wrote:

Local cyclists call the hill you died on 'the wall'. You know why.

Only too well! Surely deserves to be right up there with the best, Porlock, Hardknott, Rosedale etc
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I had a wonderful ride from Simonsbath to Lynton on Sun 19th June and stayed at Channel View campsite. Fantastic views and sunset without the drop into Lynton and the climb out!