Brompton Hire Scheme

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,387
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Now I wasn't really paying attention, but on the local BBC News, I'm sure there was an item last night or this morning about a scheme to hire out Bromptons in a similar way to Borisbikes. Brompton were involved (obviously) and so were Pearson. The bikes are to be stored in double decker lockers (80 to a parking bay apparently). Sounds a lot more fun than heaving one of Barclays' two-wheeled advertising hoardings around, but given the slightly unusual handling of a Brompton (not to mention the challenge of folding them properly) and the general level of daftness of the population as a whole, I have a certain amount of trepidation at this idea.

Anyone else know anything about it? I can't find anything on t'internet except a South West Trains scheme for season ticket holders, which is not what the same thing.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Now they would definitely get nicked! At least the Boris Bikes are immediately identifiable.... Also are Bromptons built to withstand the general kicking they would get day in/day out from the general populace? Boris bikes are built like tanks
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Looks like its not launched yet

http://www.bromptondock.co.uk/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,387
    Yes, they're hardly ideal for a general public hire scheme. I've checked the Brompton webpage and there's nothing there, nor on the BBC London page. I'm beginning to wonder whether I imagined the whole thing.

EDIT: Phew, good spot cambs.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I read about a similar scheme which will be run out of the back of a truck (literally) at East Putney.

What I don't understand, is why would you want to hire a Brompton at a railway station? When I commute by Brompton, I ride from home to the station, take it on the train, and then ride it from the station to the office. In the evening I do the same thing in the opposite order. For this to work, I'd have to drive/bus to Guildford station (assuming I lived in Guildford), hire a bike, take it to London on the train, and ride it to the office. I still have to get to the station in the morning, in which case I might aswell take the train without a bike and hire a Boris bike at the other end.

The only way this would be useful to me would be if there was a hire point either outside my house or outside my office.

To me, this seems to be something of a publicity stunt. Although I love my Brompton bike, I've gone right off the company; they seem more interested in the "cult of Brompton" than in the bike itself. A sort of Apple of the bike world (as opposed to being a Google)...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    Apparently you will be able to hire them up to 3 months at a time. So in fact you will be able to take them home. I think it is aimed at the ride from home to the station or vice versa.
    FCN 8.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    I think the scheme is to allow a hire for up to three months so location isn't so critical. IIRC (from last night's report) they are beginning with Guildford stn and rolling on out to 30 locations.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Obie wrote:
    Apparently you will be able to hire them up to 3 months at a time.
    That make more sense, but in that case, why provide lockers?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    TGOTB wrote:
    Obie wrote:
    Apparently you will be able to hire them up to 3 months at a time.
    That make more sense, but in that case, why provide lockers?

I presume the ground rates for lockers are far less than for a shop in every location.
    FCN 8.