London to Brighton place required can you help?

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Due to a monumental cockup on my behalf I
need to get a place on the above ride. Another
forum member and myself had thought we had
paid for a team entry and two places for the
above ride and also paid for transport / hotels
etc. Upon checking today it turns out only one
entry had been processed and therefore one of
us had had to step down. If anybody is unable
to attend I will happily buy their place off them ,
pay via paypal in order to take part. I'm gutted
and don't want to let ny mate down or my
sponsor . I did the event last year so would
ideally like to take part again. If anybody can
help please pm me .
thanks in advance

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Whilst its better to be official, if you can't "Buy" a place, there isn't anything to stop you just joining in, you just won't have a number and will have to give the official start line a miss. If you're raising money, no-one will object.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gwillis
    that's what ill have to do I'm afraid. the bhf stated to me yesterday that should I decide to ride without a number along with others who may do the same we were putting the event at risk..... due to the police only agreeing to a certain number ..... I was trying to do it the legit way and given 27000 were taking part id get a,ticket. at the,end of the day I won't let my mate down so number or not ill be there.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Well that's bollocks isn't it? It's not a closed road event and therefore you have every right to use that route as anyone else. If the organisers really want to make it safe, they should limit the entries to well below what they're taking in. 27,000 cyclists going through B roads is nonsense as it is, but obviously they're making a lot of money and would never admit to this.

This sums it up...

http://abrightonboyblogs.co.uk/2009/06/ ... turns-bad/
  • gwillis
    don't quote me but I'm sure 4 million is what I was told is raised. some good points on the blog in particular the lack of public transport ie trains...

As I'm entitled to use the bus to London my intention is to ride the route minus my number !
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    From what I've heard it becomes the London to Brighton Bike Walk these days, everyone just gets off on any slight incline and walks.... I did the Pearson 150 a couple of weeks ago, London to Brighton and back again, lovely route and clear roads.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah rode there and back two years ago without a number. Hit the roads at 6-30 and you will see very few riders about and in my experience 75% of them had no official numbers
    FCN = 4
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    kelsen, once you get out of london, some of the roads are closed to traffic, but not in London or Brighton.

re the linked article, what it needs is special cycle carrying trains laid on for the run back, otherwise logistics / "pickup" traffic is a nightmare.

when I did it I ended up driving down the day before dropping the tandem into the office in London and then leaving the car at my cousins office carpark in brighton and getting the train back home.

Many of these fund raising rides seem to be A to B rather than circular, which is silly, as circular is much easier for pre and post ride logistics and I'm sure reduces the number of car journeys connected with the cycling event.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Check pistonheads pedal powered forum as they have a couiple of peeps looking to get rid of tickets.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    t4tomo wrote:
    kelsen, once you get out of london, some of the roads are closed to traffic, but not in London or Brighton.

re the linked article, what it needs is special cycle carrying trains laid on for the run back, otherwise logistics / "pickup" traffic is a nightmare.

when I did it I ended up driving down the day before dropping the tandem into the office in London and then leaving the car at my cousins office carpark in brighton and getting the train back home.

Many of these fund raising rides seem to be A to B rather than circular, which is silly, as circular is much easier for pre and post ride logistics and I'm sure reduces the number of car journeys connected with the cycling event.

i rode the L2B in 2009 and said I'd never do it again. Too many meatheads out who can't ride bikes. After the event I turned round and rode back to London on a different route. There should be more people doing that instead...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    jrduquemin wrote:
    i rode the L2B in 2009 and said I'd never do it again. Too many meatheads out who can't ride bikes. After the event I turned round and rode back to London on a different route. There should be more people doing that instead...

I did the same last year except I made the mistake of coming back via the A23 dual carriageway. Lorries zooming past at 60mph. Never again! :shock:
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    i'm doing it this year...never done that far a distance before (though i can do 30 miles fine).. so im just going along for an easy ride (and the charity)