Glasgow to Ardrossan Route

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I know a few tourers are on here.
Anyone have a decent route to Ardrossan from the Erskine Bridge?
Probably looking at Bishopton, Bridge of Weir, Lochwinnoch, Kilbirnie, Dalry and B780 to Ardrossan.

Happy for any other suggestions....

Part 1 of the 8 day tour to Durness and Ullapool via the Western Isles.... :lol:
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Ardrossan - brodick - lochranza - lochgilphead - oban - lochboisdale - berneray - leverburgh - rhenigdale (go there its nice) - garenin - butt of lewis lighthouse - stornoway - ullapool - inverness

tis a nice ride.

Bookmark Rothan cycles on Uist and whatever the bike shop in Brodick is called. Both got me out of a pickle - especially Rothan who managed to have a 7 speed freehub in stock just when I needed it!

Now you've made me want to go back to the Hebrides.
  • Wallace1492
    For me, Glasgow-Ardrossan-Lochranza-Lochgilphead-Oban-Barra-Lochmaddy-Uig-Plockton-Lochcarron-Torridon-Gareloch-Altbea-Ullapool-Durness-Ullapool. Finish with Tall Ships weekend and ceilidh at Ullapool. Looking forward to it! :lol::lol:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Jealous, me? :D
  • *Checks slender lead on the stats table and winces.*
  • Wallace1492
    *Checks slender lead on the stats table and winces.*

Told you I would reel you in.... :wink: your lead was over 300 at one time. Though I have not been doing too much distance of late, spending too much time on MTB. But good news is that I will need to get a few miles in my legs before the above (second week of July), and think June could be my "moving month"! :wink:
  • *Checks slender lead on the stats table and winces.*

Told you I would reel you in.... :wink: your lead was over 300 at one time. Though I have not been doing too much distance of late, spending too much time on MTB. But good news is that I will need to get a few miles in my legs before the above (second week of July), and think June could be my "moving month"! :wink:

My lead was over 500 at one point. That said, we'll see how you fare when the weather turns a tad chilly; you may go back into hibernation.
  • Wallace1492
    *Checks slender lead on the stats table and winces.*

My lead was over 500 at one point. That said, we'll see how you fare when the weather turns a tad chilly; you may go back into hibernation.

I was never in hibernation..... only missed 2 days on the commute this year. I just don't do "extra" in bad weather. I am 15.4 miles per day, but this doubles during good weather but will not go away in the bad!! I will have caught you by mid/end of June and be out of sight by end of July.... :wink::wink:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    That's a coincidence, me and 3 friends will be going from Ardrossan over to Araan for a few days on the 14th of July.

I would say touring but we are staying at a central hotels and then going out from there around the island and then over on the small ferry at Lochranza for a day then back.
  • Wallace1492
    I will be on the Brodick ferry on the 8th July. Arrive back in Ullapool on the 15th July.

*prays for a decent July!*
  • I will be on the Brodick ferry on the 8th July. Arrive back in Ullapool on the 15th July.

*prays for a decent July!*

To paraphrase Mark Twain: I've never spent a winter so cold as July in Ullapool.
  • Paul E
    We had one day of cr@p weather last year around the same time, the rest was great so fingers crossed
  • Wallace1492
    Paul E wrote:
    We had one day of cr@p weather last year around the same time, the rest was great so fingers crossed

Errrrr obviously you were not north of the border in July.... There was pehaps one dry day in July.... :shock:
  • Paul E
    Damn, now you have got me thinking about what month it was, will look at the photos I took tonight to see what date is stamped on them
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Paul E wrote:
    Damn, now you have got me thinking about what month it was, will look at the photos I took tonight to see what date is stamped on them

My guess is June. The weather turned decidedly cr@p once the school holidays started in July.
    This year, summer was April. We are now into autumn. At least that's the way it feels.....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was near Ullapool in September last year - two guys came into the pub complaining of snow blocking a pass. :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • RossMu
    RossMu Posts: 59
    I know a few tourers are on here.
    Anyone have a decent route to Ardrossan from the Erskine Bridge?
    Probably looking at Bishopton, Bridge of Weir, Lochwinnoch, Kilbirnie, Dalry and B780 to Ardrossan.

Happy for any other suggestions....

Part 1 of the 8 day tour to Durness and Ullapool via the Western Isles.... :lol:
    You might want to keep going from Kilbirnie onto Kilwinning. About halfway between Kilwinning and Irvine you kinda double back on yourself and then you are on the national cycle route.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    That's clearly a made up please mean who's ever heard of a place called Glasgow ???

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • For me, Glasgow-Ardrossan-Lochranza-Lochgilphead-Oban-Barra-Lochmaddy-Uig-Plockton-Lochcarron-Torridon-Gareloch-Altbea-Ullapool-Durness-Ullapool. Finish with Tall Ships weekend and ceilidh at Ullapool. Looking forward to it! :lol::lol:

I'm planning on being in Ullapool that weekend. Planning to see the Saw Doctors in Inverness on the 13th. Kirkwall 15th and Ullapool 16th (staying in SYHA hostel). Will be cycling part of the way.
  • Paul E
    Just checked my photos from the trip, it was from the 8th to the 12th of July, I think we hit a nice couple of days in a sea of cr@p
  • daviesee
    Looks like I was wrong, and you were lucky :P

I don't remember it being particularly wet, just a distinct lack of sunshine.
    Nice couple of days here now just to remind us what it could/should be like.
    I even got up early so I could add 10 miles onto my commute in this morning in the sunshine. Yeah! :P
  • Wallace1492
    For me, Glasgow-Ardrossan-Lochranza-Lochgilphead-Oban-Barra-Lochmaddy-Uig-Plockton-Lochcarron-Torridon-Gareloch-Altbea-Ullapool-Durness-Ullapool. Finish with Tall Ships weekend and ceilidh at Ullapool. Looking forward to it! :lol::lol:

I'm planning on being in Ullapool that weekend. Planning to see the Saw Doctors in Inverness on the 13th. Kirkwall 15th and Ullapool 16th (staying in SYHA hostel). Will be cycling part of the way.

Been confirmed we have tickets for the Sawdoctors in Ullapool too. Skerryvore and the Vatersay Boys the night before.... 8)
  • daviesee
    Been confirmed we have tickets for the Sawdoctors in Ullapool too. Skerryvore and the Vatersay Boys the night before.... 8)

Skerryvore in Culross this Saturday :P
  • The Vatersay Boys are great too. Enjoy.