Smelly Shoes

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I don't suffer from smellly feet really, normal shoes, running shoes are pretty much OK.

When I took my cycling shoes (Spesh BG Comp) out of my locker to go home last night I noticed that they absolutely stank. Maybe the wet rides don't help.

Anyhow...how the hell can I make them smell sweet, they are less than 12 months old.

Ta peeps.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Wash them in the washing machine inside a pillow case. Works for trainers at least not tried on cycle shoes.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or put them in a bucket of hot water, detergent and something (disinfectant?) to kill the germs!

Depends how bad the funk is.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    put tea bags in them over night! (they absorb the smell)

but letting them air out when your not wearing them is probably them best..
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mine get very smelly after a wet ride, I just live with it, I keep them in the shed with the bike so the smell doesn't get into the flat, they get better when they dry out, although I would never say they were exactly fragrant. I think it can help to have a few pairs of shoes on the go. When 1 pair gets smelly, switch to another. I do the same with helmets - I've got a few which I switch between.... I keep them in the shed too.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    richVSrich wrote:

Used teabags or fresh ones?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    richVSrich wrote:

Used teabags or fresh ones?

Earl Grey or Lapsang souchong?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • richVSrich
    fresh (dry) tea bags - the smells with the moisture from the shoes gets absorbed..

i would have though jasmine is best ;)
  • essex-commuter
    I wonder if rice would work, that's what you are supposed to put electrical items in that have got wet to draw out the moisture?

Dry tea bags. Can you use them after to make tea? Perhaps not for me, but what about colleagues tea? :)
  • richVSrich
    i have heard that with rice, but i dont think rice is actually that absorbive (sp??)...

if you can get some hold of some activated carbon (granules / powder) that would be amazing...but not cheap

hehehe, yeah i can imagine the tea that comes out of them would be pretty "fragrant" :P
  • Headhuunter
    Actually, stuffing wet and smelly shoes with newspaper helps dry them out and get rid of the smell to a certain extent...
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Get some sneaker balls. £2 from sports direct and you just leave them in the shoes whenever you take them off. They work really well, even on my rancid work trainers
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    I think you can use " Bicarbinate of Soda" , the same stuff you use to freshen your fridge , just put the powder in the shoe and let it do its stuff.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Actually, stuffing wet and smelly shoes with newspaper helps dry them out and get rid of the smell to a certain extent...

this also kinda works in fridges too (bad smell wise) - just don't put too close to the back wall...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter

this also kinda works in fridges too (bad smell wise) - just don't put too close to the back wall...

I think putting half a lemon (with a bit of salt on it I think? May be I'm wrong on that though) deodorises a fridge quite well...
  • essex-commuter
    Insoles scrubbed, baking soda inside, let's see what happens. Oh the excitement of the threads I start!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

I think putting half a lemon (with a bit of salt on it I think? May be I'm wrong on that though) deodorises a fridge quite well...

I think you are getting mixed up with tequila shooters! Oh no, that's lime isn't it? :)
  • richVSrich
    so...!! how did it work, did you use the soda? or went for some tea?
  • essex-commuter
    richVSrich wrote:
    so...!! how did it work, did you use the soda? or went for some tea?

Got home, took insoles out and scrubbed clean. Put in sun to dry.

Went to cupboard and found baking powder, sell by date was 2008, don't think that matters, ain't cooking with it. Put some in shoes and laid in sunshine.

Went back an hour later, had a sniff, not too bad but still there.

Went back another hour later, sniffed...a bit better again.

Opened a bottle of red, forgot about shoes, had to drive to work today as in a different office, no idea how the shoes are, a magpie might have nicked 'em for all I know!