Can it be due to a frayed gear cable?

coyote101
coyote101 Posts: 125
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Normally I index my gears myself and they got thrown out on a ride the other day so I set up to index them as normal. I've set higher and lower limits several times without any problem but I cant get the gears to change smoothly all the way up and down. When I adjust the tension one way it jumps two at a time at the top and when I adjust the other way it does the same at the bottom - can't find a medium!

One thing I have noticed is that the cable is slightly frayed just before the holding bolt, but its literally just one strand of the cable that has come away. Could this be the cause of the problem. Just wandering whether this would be significant enough for me to buy and install a new cable to try that before taking it to a bike shop.

Thanks for any advice! :D

J

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you should only need to set the stops once.

and never again unless you change the mech or the cassette/hub.

you say you needed to reset them Bent mech hanger?

mucky cable tend to effect it in one direction only.

can you see any frayed cable?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • coyote101
    Yeah the cable is frayed but its only one strand thats come away - do you think this is enough to have an effect?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    If the cable is frayed before the clamp bolt this doesn't usually affect the gear shifting, but if it is frayed it is wise to stick a new one in as the other strands will eventually go.

The shifting problem does sound like a dirty or kinked cable to me, when you fit the new inner, either fit some new outer or flush it out with some GT85.
  • For the price of a gear cable its worth changing it to eliminate it from your problems.
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • coyote101
    Ok thanks folks, Revell can you pls explain to me how to "flush out". I do have some GT85 I can use. Thanks! J
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    one strand won't affect operation but generall once one has gone, then others will follow; once about 1/3rd or more a gone, then shifting will be affected.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only takes one bit of frayed cable to work up inside the outer and changing will be wrecked.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    A few weeks ago my rear dérailleur kept missing out 8th gear, up and down. I tried the usual, including changing gear cable, exactly the same. It was sending me mad. I dug out an old rear shifter, low and behold it shifted perfectly. One X9 shifter, less than 8 months old causing it all along.