New frame, will my old parts fit?

m1t35h
m1t35h Posts: 5
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I'm picking up a Giant Trance 3 2008 frame this weekend. I currenty have a Giant Rainier 2009 from which I'll be using parts to build the Trance. I know the Rainier has a lot of budget components but I've decided I'll upgrade them when they wear out/I can afford it. My question is will all of the parts from the Rainier fit the Trance? I find the range of front derailleur fittings baffling! Also will the bottom bracket be an easy job to swap - again there seem to be many types and sizes!

Have I bitten off a bit too much?!

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Some of it will, some of it won't.

The minimum you'll need will be new gear cables, but you'd be very lucky if that's all. Your brake hoses might be too short. What about the fork steerer; too short maybe? Chain too short? If you had to change the chain, would you need to change the cassette and chainrings too? Those two frames have different headset standards too.

On the plus side the BB will probably be fine.
  • m1t35h
    Thanks Warpcow.

The frame includes the headset so that's one thing taken care of. I've put a new Recon fork on the Rainier and left the steerer tube quite long and used a stack of spacers so that should be alright too. I guess cables and hoses aren't going to break the bank but was hoping the rest of the drivetrain would be a straight swap.

Is it a problem if I have to use a new longer chain but leave the cassette and chain rings alone? They've done about 500 miles, mainly road. I realise I should change them all but planning on upgrading to 9spd when I can affort to so don't want to change more than I have now.

What about the front derailleur mount, is that the same?

Sorry about so many questions, it's my first bike build! :?
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Is it a Trance or Trance X the latter has a very long head tube on the bigger frames and the steerer tube could still be a problem. Will also need to check seat post diameters to see if they will swap across. I think the trance X needs a bottom mount front mech as well.
  • m1t35h
    it's a 2008 trance 3 frame
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Some things to consider:

seatpost diameter ?
    seatpost qr or clamp diameter ?
    seatpost still long enough ?
    fork's steerer tube too short ?
    new frame's headset size?
    gear and brake cable lengths ?
    new frame's brake mounts, headset and bottom bracket faced / tapped ?
    tools required for removing and fitting headset and bottom bracket ?
    chain still long enough ?
    rear hub width and axle type ?
    front mech size and top or bottom pull ?
    chainline and chainring clearance ?
    tyre clearance ?

I know some of this has been mentioned already. I just copy and pasted it from another thread.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe