Sad News from the BBC - fatality in a bike race last night ?

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    cougie wrote:
    It was a TT, so not a "bike race" in the most common interpretation of the term (i.e. bunch riding).

Sadly it seems like he ran into the back of a parked lorry, poor guy. 10 mile TTs hurt quite a bit so it's understandable to have your head down suffering, but not to the extent that you run into the backs of parked vehicles! Really awful accident. RIP to him.

It's a good wake-up call for the rest of us that no matter what on a bike you're the most vulnerable road user out there. Whether it's someone else's mistake or yours, the consequences are equally devastating. Ride safe folks.
  • Sadly it seems like he ran into the back of a parked lorry, poor guy. 10

Where does it say that?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Sadly it seems like he ran into the back of a parked lorry, poor guy. 10

Where does it say that?

here
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    its a reminder that riding with your head down is a very stupid thing to do. a guy i ride with occasionally got a 6 month ban a number of years ago for riding into a parked car during a tt
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I knew a rider who did that too - destroyed his bike but his Spinergy front wheel survived. And he rode it for years after. I'd really not have risked it.

Very sad news for this TTer. And the fatality seems almost incidental on the club webpage. I'm sure its not meant to come across like that though. RIP Ken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572
    Unfortunately you see riders doing this all the time but luckily such serious accidents are rare. A clubmate did it on a chain gang into a parked van but luckily hit the middle of the two doors and burst them open. He still had serious neck injuries but recovered only to do the same thing again on a TT within weeks of coming back - luckily it was only my back wheel that time!