First Fitting

FindYourGozo
FindYourGozo Posts: 30
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
I have my first fitting scheduled for this Friday afternoon. I own a Specialized Allez Sport 2010 and is my first road bike. I have ordered shoes (Specialized BG Pro Road Shoes that will arrive on Thursday (These are them: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... spid=39461 ). I was given a pair of used pedals that I will make do for now.

Here are my questions:

Do I need to wear cycling specific clothes to the fitting?

What questions, if any, should I have for the tech? I worry that if I don't ask the right questions I wont get the right service.

Will it be like breaking in a new shoe? Will there be some discomfort as I get used to the proper position?

What can I do to avoid annoying the tech? I am a compete newbie but with your help it does not have to be so obvious.

I am all ears to any other wisdom you feel inclined to share on the subject.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

I would. The thick padding on cycling shorts will alter your position a bit.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:

I would. The thick padding on cycling shorts will alter your position a bit.

I thought the same thing. I figured the shorts too would make it easier to see leg position and angles - I imagine gym shorts could make it a bit more difficult to see. I can't think of any reason to wear a jersey though - is there a reason to? Could I just go in my bibs and a t-shirt?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560

Here are my questions:

YES. Shoes and knicks certainly but also worth wearing a fairly slim fitting jersey, as it is easier to see your body position, and movement, if not obscured by a big loose tent of a t-shirt.

What questions, if any, should I have for the tech? I worry that if I don't ask the right questions I wont get the right service.

Maybe a better thing is what questions your tech should ask YOU. Make sure he/she is aware of what style of rider you are, what your aims are, any specific things they should know about you physically (back problems, sciatic issues, muscle problems, whatever). More information is ALWAYS better than less.

Will it be like breaking in a new shoe? Will there be some discomfort as I get used to the proper position?

Maybe. If you have been riding in your current position for a long time and got used to it, you may find changes are a bit awkward at first. Should NOT take long to adapt though, so if you find after the fitting that a month or so later, it still ain't working, let them know. IMO, a good fitting session should ALWAYS include a follow-up commitment to check progress.

What can I do to avoid annoying the tech? I am a compete newbie but with your help it does not have to be so obvious.

Turn up on time! :D ALso, you really do need to be prepared before you go - know what you want to get from the session, and what your current problems might be, as in, "Every time I ride more than 20 miles, my left knee gets sore right in this spot" (point to spot exactly).

I am all ears to any other wisdom you feel inclined to share on the subject.

Be prepared to give things a try. There may be some advice that seems counter-intuitive initially, but may still be correct.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS