New bike, strange noises.

thebluefox
thebluefox Posts: 200
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Alright chaps,

Bought a Decathlon 8.1 on Saturday and took it out yesterday, and picked up a puncture, wonderful!

So popped the rear wheel off and fixed it tonight, got it all back on though and the chain seems to be rubbing on the mech by the pedals? Looks like its the quarter circle peice of metal (not in the know about what each bit is called, sorry) just behind the cog.

Also the front disc (had the wheel off/on in out of the car) seems to rubbing on the pad once every turn?

Its probably simple stuff, but I'm a new to all this so treat me nice ;)

Cheers,

Tom

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    brake. wheel not fitted correctly. But brakes will need to bed in every time a wheel is removed/replaced.

mech in whet gear combos.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 188 posts and you still say you're new to all this! After 3 posts I was an expert ;)

Are you sure the wheels are sitting in the dropouts ok? Assuming you've got QRs are they done up tightly? How do you put the wheels back in? Bike upside down etc.

Front disk rubbing is kind of normal - assuming hydro brakes - it tends to get better after a few miles - something to do with the seals/pads moving / aligning.

I cant comment on the front mech without more info.
  • thebluefox
    thebluefox Posts: 200
    Lol, post count-wise I was about a year or 2 ago when I was riding my old rigid bike here and there, but this is the first bike I've had that I've tried to understand the workings of. Not new to the forum, just new to the techy side of things ;)

It could well be the wheels haven't bedded in since refitting the wheels, I'll ride it a little more and see if it stops/gets better.

It seems to be worse when its in the outer most (largest) gear on the front mech, doesn't seem to matter with the rear but I wasn't paying too much attention to that one. I can check again tomorrow if it helps.

Cheers for the help boys :)
  • Sp0ink
    Sp0ink Posts: 14
    Adjust your front mech using the two screws on the top of it, the ones normally markes H and L