Olympic tickets

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2011 in Pro race
Anyone get any for the road race or the track?

I applied for pretty much all sports, including all evening track sessions (multiple times). It looks like I've got tickets to handball and nothing else - that's 1 session out of 56!

I'll be off to Box Hill (if open) and continue to be extremely disappointed that there was no weighting given to genuine fans who attend sports outside the Olympics - I assume the track cycling will be full of happy clappers who will be astonished when Australia win more medals than GB.

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    How do you know already?
    I'm still checking my bank account to see how much money's gone.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I've got tickets to the men's hockey final and semis, but I didn't get them through the 'general public' route.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I've got some and from the money taken out of my account I am pretty sure it includes the session which includes the mens team pursuit final. :D

Get in!!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The whole thing is an f-ing joke, I shall be cycling the world when it's on.

Youv'e only got to look at the logo and what it cost to realise that.

Cannon fodder! :shock:
  • Tusher
    Not one penny has been taken out of my bank account. I've been saving for this for over two years now- didn't expect to get all I'd requested, but the kids will be devastated if we don't get any tickets.

I'm worried.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Just checked my account - £68 gone out, which is 4 tickets for footy at Newcastle.

Guess I didnt get the velodrome or athletics tickets then.

The missus reckons we can apply in a second ballot? Also she reckons there are plans for an official website (not ticket agency/touts) for people to sell on tickets that are unwanted?
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Out of 7 final days for either the stadium or cycling I applied for, I got one, so I am quite pleased.
  • Tusher
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Just checked my account - £68 gone out, which is 4 tickets for footy at Newcastle.

Guess I didnt get the velodrome or athletics tickets then.

The missus reckons we can apply in a second ballot? Also she reckons there are plans for an official website (not ticket agency/touts) for people to sell on tickets that are unwanted?

How much did you apply for? I'd carefully budgeted for £2K, transferred the money on to the Visa card, spent an entire day working out if we could get to the venues on time, booked the camp-site..........and now nothing.

Yes, there is to be a second ballot. But millions of people will also be applying for those- I think I'd be better just to apply for everything.

Nephew (whose only request was for the ladies beach volleyball) has assured me not to be too upset though- I can always take them to Rio in 2016.

Aye, right.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    hmmm well its a lottery and ive ended up spending loads more than i expected.

In fact its a problem :)
  • Tusher
    S'not fair. Harrumph.

Hubby's an archer- huge event for them, so I'd booked tickets for him for just about every session at Lords. And what do we get? Sod all.

Yes, we could go to see the marathon and the road race for free- but they're a fortnight apart and we've got the expense of flying down.

Aaaargh. I'm away to take my anger out on the garden.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I rest my case :roll:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I heard someone on the radio this morning who said she'd applied for (and seemed to think she'd got) tickets for the Velodrome, "because we are going to win medals there".

I've been to the last three World Cup events at Manchester Velodrome and will hopefully go to the one at the London Velodrome next February.

At the Olympics the Velodrome will be full of people who have no clue who they are watching or about the individual events. I'm sure the same will be the case for many of the other sports too.

I didn't apply for any tickets because I felt they were overpriced. For the price of many of the finals (any sport) I can go to a few cricket matches this summer, Athletics at Crystal Palace, the Velodrome in February, etc.
  • Tusher
    Oddly enough, although my sister-in-law is a huge trackie fan, the Velodrome was the one place that we said we'd not be too disappointed about, as we figured that we could always go to a Worlds at Manchester one day.

It's the archery that seems so cruel- they could probably fit all the archers in the UK into Lords, which means that people like Mr Tusher who shoot weekly themselves and avidly follow the sport stay are bitterly disappointed, and Lords will be full of people who've just ticked the archery box but couldn't care less if it was table tennis or tiddly winks. I've not ventured into any archery forum, but I suspect that they're full of very angry people just now. Who all have bows, arrows and know how to use them.

Still, there's always Glesca in 2014. It's be miles better.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Tusher wrote:
    My Grandfather (who was from Kilmarnock) would be ashamed of me, but I've just googled "Glesca 2014" to work out what you were referring to. I'm amazed to say that Google came up trumps with "Showing results for glasgow 2014. Search instead for glesca 2014".

Back on topic, as far as I'm aware we have no tickets at all :(. Bradley Wiggins has been complaining on twitter that his wife and kids couldn't get tickets to the team pursuit final either, so his kids will have to watch on TV.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Zero allocation for me and my better half as well - both big cycling fans .It's a fuck1ng disgrace that someone who doesn't really care about the sport will be sat there clapping like a mong at Brian Wiggins. I've already ranted on Facebook and in Cake Stop so I won't go on about it here or my blood pressure might go through the roof.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    its shocking that these tickets weren't organised by individual sports governing bodies. not that i'm bothered if i get any or not, we only applied for 1 finals night at the velodrome
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Tusher
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    My Grandfather (who was from Kilmarnock) would be ashamed of me, but I've just googled "Glesca 2014" to work out what you were referring to. I'm amazed to say that Google came up trumps with "Showing results for glasgow 2014. Search instead for glesca 2014".

:)

See you there Graeme S!
  • RichN95.
    Tusher wrote:
    It's the archery that seems so cruel- they could probably fit all the archers in the UK into Lords, which means that people like Mr Tusher who shoot weekly themselves and avidly follow the sport stay are bitterly disappointed, and Lords will be full of people who've just ticked the archery box but couldn't care less if it was table tennis or tiddly winks. I've not ventured into any archery forum, but I suspect that they're full of very angry people just now. Who all have bows, arrows and know how to use them.

But did the British Archery Association (or whatever it's called) offer them to affiliated archery clubs? Because that's what hockey did. As I'm the club secretary of a fairly big hockey club, I bought over twenty tickets spread over three different days over a month ago.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I applied for four tickets for each of one athletics, one swimming and one velodrome session. potential outlay £750 and £260 has been debited so I don't know which session it is.

We had planned a week in London so we are revising the plans slightly but would love to meet up with forumites on one of the road race climbs. I think it will be far better than being at a venue with a bunch of "don't know and don't cares"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Vuelta95
    Vuelta95 Posts: 31
    I got one weightlifting session and one athletics. I didn't get any Velodrome or MTB tickets. I'm more gutted about not getting all the weightlifting that I applied for, as I had resigned myself to the fact that I had a minimal chance of seeing any track cycling.
    You might have had a response from a pro cyclist on Twitter, you may even have chatted to a 'journo', but ultimately, you still know nothing. You're not an insider, no matter how much you wish you are.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    For people who haven't had any money taken, remember that it can take a day or two for payments to be processed and the money to go from your account.

Also, 10 June is the final date when all payments will have been taken (again, remember payments migyht not show in your account till 12 June).

Anyway, this is what I'm telling myself as my fears grow about not receiving any tickets from a £1,000 application!
  • RichN95.
    Missed out on tickets? Want a plan B?

Why not try buying tickets off the Germans?

http://www.dertour.de/xchg/olympia-tick ... aleAttr=EN

(No, major events, I'm afraid - but there's plenty of archery there Tusher - it's all perfectly legit)

Also, keep an eye on www.cosport.com , who will be selling tickets from June 28th (I bought all my Beijing tickets from them)
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Looks like got tickets for Team Pursuit and possibly the MTB - will have lots of friends now !!!
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    Looks like got tickets for Team Pursuit and possibly the MTB - will have lots of friends now !!!

did you not have any before?
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    I went in for 1500 quids worth of tickets. Got sweet f all.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    I went for 1000 quid of tickets including table tennis doubles quarter finals, BMX and rowing (for which there are surely thousands upon thousands of tickets - it's a 2000m course).

Got sweet fa too.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    We live in an Olympic borough. Just 10mins down the road from the stadium. Haven't had any money taken as yet. So no Velodrome or Mountain Biking for me its seems :cry: pretty disgusted actually. Having had to pay for the bloody event, put up with all of the update work on the tube and roads and now this massive spectacle is gonna happen in my town and i can't even get to see anything...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Moomaloid wrote:
    We live in an Olympic borough. Just 10mins down the road from the stadium. Haven't had any money taken as yet. So no Velodrome or Mountain Biking for me its seems :cry: pretty disgusted actually. Having had to pay for the bloody event, put up with all of the update work on the tube and roads and now this massive spectacle is gonna happen in my town and i can't even get to see anything...

There's only one thing for it - We decamp to Rick's flat on the day of the road race, walk and see the race go past, then return to "chez Rick" and drink beer / eat frites.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well - I suppose the upside of all the people NOT getting tickets they wanted... is that they must be in high demand. So, at least all the events should sell out and the taxpayer should recoup some of the money they funnelled into the Games. Nothing worse than half-empty stadiums, etc.

Sucks though if you had budgeted lots of cash (and were prepared to spend it, etc) and still didn't get ANYTHING. :oops: