Calling Londoners!

Duncanandthemachine
Duncanandthemachine Posts: 263
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Right then...one for all you London types...just heading back north after an interview for a job in the big city. Working on the principal that they offer me a job (?!) what sort of uplift should i be asking for on my salary? Somewhere between 20 and 30% has been suggested (by the way i'm currently in liverpool). Past that, roughly how much do you guys budget/spend on living down there? Any other thoughts on london life appreciated too :) ta!

Comments

• DrewDubya
    DrewDubya Posts: 35
    I guess this depends on what the job is and what the salary package is...

In my area we have no London weighting - and get paid on the same scales as colleagues based in the North
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    London weighting would have to be 95% for me to do it again - 30% cost of living and 65% for the shit, grime and hassle :lol: 43 minutes on the train is plenty near enough for me these days, but just my opinion of course. Cue Rick Chasey
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,029
    AndyF16 wrote:
    London weighting would have to be 95% for me to do it again - 30% cost of living and 65% for the shoot, grime and hassle :lol: 43 minutes on the train is plenty near enough for me these days, but just my opinion of course. Cue Rick Chasey

;) I live in London now, so I can't comment on the commute (though I did do it for 2 months for an internship and it burried my soul), nor can I comment on London weighting since this is the first proper salaried job I've had.

As long as you like cities and have a bit of money, there's something for everyone and anyone in London.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    If you're single you need to be earning at least £30k to have any decent standard of living in London, IMO. Especially if you have a taste for nice bikes etc.

South London is a great place to live though, plenty of green, more space, less traffic and some good cycling south into Kent and Surrey right on your doorstep. I live around Dulwich, been here for many years and still really like it.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The minimum should be the amount it would cost to commute from outside London imo .i.e.£5-6k gross. My wife does it, but I couldn't be bothered myself.
  • I can't say anything about careers and money because I have neither. But I do live in London and, in spite of everything, I like the place. When you put material rewards to one side, what makes life most liveable here, at least for me, is to think of London as a vast network of overlapping villages. So instead of thinking of London as an enormous impersonal place, you can end up thinking of it as the home you'll never fully know.
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    I can't say anything about careers and money because I have neither. But I do live in London and, in spite of everything, I like the place. When you put material rewards to one side, what makes life most liveable here, at least for me, is to think of London as a vast network of overlapping villages. So instead of thinking of London as an enormous impersonal place, you can end up thinking of it as the home you'll never fully know.

thats how a good friend of mine from London described London to me just before i moved down here nearly 14 years ago.

as for the cost of living , its only really housing thats dearer IMVHO.

as a guide the industry I am in determines that out of London the hourly rate is £16.16 and in london the rate is £18.10 . whatever that works out at as a percentage uplift.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    The london uplift at my firm is a flat £3.5k, its not a % of salary.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    On seeing the thread title I was all ready to post

You bunch of cockney wide boy w@nkers. :wink: Fair do's not all Landoners are cockneys. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I've just moved down to London From Sheffield as i've been lucky enough to get a job.

Salaray percentage wise it's 12% more than if I was working in Nottingham for the same job within the company.

Living costs depending on what you want, family, partners etc... but if your living on your own expect to pay around £200pw that will be for a "studio"!

i'm living in West Hampstead (NW London) it is a very nice area with a real "cafe culture" on the tube it takes you 20/30mins to get to the centre, Bike is 6 miles (16/18mins)

Only been down here a few weeks, but got to say i'm really enjoying it! Love commuting as well.
  • Been living in London for about 3 years now. I concur with another poster - you need to earn at least 30k to be financially comfortable in the capital.

Other than than, I can't reccomend living here enough! Been having a blast 8)