Brake issue

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have been having some issues with my brakes, I was told it should get better with more use but to be honest it is getting worse, much worse.

When I use my front brake i get a lot of noise and the noise is just getting worse the more i use it. The rear break is worse I get the same noise that has progressively got worse, loud and when i say loud i mean LOUD, I also get alot of vibration through the frame, The discs are not rubbing but the noise it is creating is unbelievable, I have only owned the bike from new for about 4 weeks now.

The breaks seem to work fine for stopping power.

The breaks are as follows..

Shimano BR-M505 hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 160mm rotor

Any help would be appreciated

TIA

Jay

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like they are glazed.

remove clean with some wet and dry and fit back in the same place.

but i would be mentioning it at the free first service myself.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    4 weeks old? If you are not completely happy take it back. I wouldn't even bother spending more money trying to sort it myself.
  • toastedone
    I took it backto the shop this Saturday, they said they just need more use, in 4 weeks i have done about 160 miles, i spent yesterday at Coed Llandegla with some heavy breaking.

The service is in about 3 weeks, when you say clean with some wet and dry do i just rub both sides of the disc with it all around?
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    Brakes bed relatively quickly, they do not need 100+ miles. If you use any 'wet and dry' on your rotors they could just turn around and use this against you.
  • toastedone
    The noise is so loud it turns heads
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    toastedone wrote:
    I took it backto the shop this Saturday, they said they just need more use, in 4 weeks i have done about 160 miles, i spent yesterday at Coed Llandegla with some heavy breaking.

The service is in about 3 weeks, when you say clean with some wet and dry do i just rub both sides of the disc with it all around?

Nooooooooo. Rub the surface of the pads with the wet and dry paper, preferably after having removed them from the calipers!
  • toastedone
    Is there a guide on doing this, I am a complete novice
  • toastedone
    Well I sanded the pads a little and yes it made a differnce, so thanks, the is still a little squeal from the rear and nothing from the front now
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I' am going to piggy back this thread if you don't mind as i am having similar issues.

I have a 2011 Trek 4300 which has Promax Hydraulic discs.

They were great to start with, but first the rear, and now the front are making a horrible graunching/metal to metal sound when applied. (I have had the bike just over a month, from new)

There is no marking on the rotors, and when i removed the pads, there was no visible signs of anything being amiss. When i cleaned them up and reassembled, they were back to normal for about 2 or 3 stops, and then went back to as they are now. It feels like you can feel each individual perforation in the rotor through the pads, as if they are not hitting the rotor true.

I took it back to the shop where they 'adjusted' them. If anything, they are worse now. They seemed baffled by it and recommended i keep putting miles on them and see what they are like come the first service.

Importantly, they still stop on a six-pence, so i'm not worried about safety. Its just the noise and 'feel' thats getting me down.

Cheers
  • toastedone
    My noise come back today worse than ever im getting realy pee'd off with it now, the lous noise and the vibration is unreal
  • toastedone
    Ok i have tried cleaning the pads with a sand down, I have made sure everything is tight, i have made sure that the wheel and disc are all in line, the noise is so loud and the vibration is absolutely terrible.

My LBS told me to try cleaning them they also told me that they may need bedding in still (180 Miles later). I am really frustrated and it is starting to put me off riding it, the vibration is uncomfortable and the noise from my 700 budget mtb is embarrassing.

Has anyone got any other ideas as i am out of them
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Take it back and get them to sort it.
  • toastedone

The first time i took it back to them, they did not seem that interested in my complaint, they kinda looked at me as if i was off my head on crack, I now have it booked in for its first service next Saturday.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    piggy back number 2,

i have the same problem with my shimano slx brakes,had the pads off,changed the rotor and for a wee bit they are fine after sanding down,but left to sit for a while they go back to the high pitched squeal.

if my pads are contaminated are they for the bin??its quite embaressing when im out and my bike is squealing,the pads seem to be gripping the rotor but not to the point where they lock its more a drag,quite frustrating now,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    toastedone wrote:

The first time i took it back to them, they did not seem that interested in my complaint, they kinda looked at me as if i was off my head on crack, I now have it booked in for its first service next Saturday.
    hope they sort it this time. if they don't them keep plagueing them :D
  • morleyman200
    morleyman200 Posts: 513
    my brother had similar issues with his shimano brakes (deore) he thought he might of contaminated them, so if you think it is poissible, remove the pads, stick them in the oven for a few mins on a medium temp, this will then evaporate the oil out of the pads, beware of the smell though.

Then get some disc brake cleaner and spray it on the rotors and wipe down with a clean cloth,

once the pads have been in the oven get some fine sand paper and rub the pad down.

After this my brother found his brakes were working really well without any noise.

Good luck
  • mat-ster
    mat-ster Posts: 55
    OK simple solution.......

Stops glazing and makes a good key between pad and disc.
    Before your ride get some good old mud.

Spread it over the disc inside and outside.

Go for your ride.

Wash with warm water.
    Use Alcohol wipes Isopropyl (no not Vodka) to clean the discs and pads carefully.
    Similar to this - http://www.medisupplies.co.uk/acatalog/ ... Wipes.html

This is what the Pro mechanics do...!