my pedals are so hard to clip in

jainsy
jainsy Posts: 37
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
I've only had them a few weeks and thought I'd get the hang of them as time went on. I have serious issues getting my left foot in though. The right is fine, but when I start moving I find it extremely tricky to click my left in. Is there some sort of technique I've misunderstood or do not know about?? I've adjusted the tension but to no avail.

I've got time rxs pedals and cleats.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have you tried clipping in on the LHS when stationary to ensure that there is not a technical issue, merely one of technique?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Which pedals / cleats are we talking about??
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Are you getting your foot in at the same angle as the right?
    Just stick with it. I imagine they'll loosen up a bit over time (no pun intended!)
    Are they both ok unclipping?
    You don't adjust them different ways do you?
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    May just need more practice. I had an EXTREMELY hard time learning to use clipless, now it's a breeze, has been since about a month after I bought them.
  • Hinzy9
    Hinzy9 Posts: 72
    I had the exact same problem with my spd's and I was putting it down to having a weak left ankle following an old football injury. It turned out that id accidentally set the tension to max rather then min. :shock: Probably not your problem but might
    be worth double checking...
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Ive had Time RXS pedals for 4 yrs now , carbons and carbon/titaniums and i recall they do take a bit of practice when you first use them, when you set off, like you say youve got one foot clicked in, when you engage the other one make sure the tab on the front of the cleat engages with the hook on the front of the pedal,then press down firmly to engage it, if you dont it will just slip off the pedal,like others have said more practice and it will become second nature, even after 20 odd thousand miles on them i still get my foot slipping off the odd time when i,m trying to make a quick getaway, so take your time while your still getting used to them.
  • jainsy
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Have you tried clipping in on the LHS when stationary to ensure that there is not a technical issue, merely one of technique?

Sorry my bike lingo is not quite up to scratch! what is a LHS?

Admittedly I snapped a small bit of the front clip off the actual left pedal the other day when i fell off around a corner. However, I still manage to find the correct position its just the clip in. I think the left may have actually been slightly tighter, so i've readjusted and will give it a whirl tomorrow and let you all know!

I'm under the impression they're are only two tension settings?? How do I make sure its on the lowest, the loudest click?

Many thanks for all the responses
  • MattJPaul
    MattJPaul Posts: 95
    jainsy wrote:

I think he means left-hand side as you mentioned your left foot being the problem child.
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Jainsy, what pedals/shoes/cleats are you using?
  • Bobbinogs
    MattJPaul wrote:
    jainsy wrote:

I think he means left-hand side as you mentioned your left foot being the problem child.

Yepp, sorry for any confusion.
  • Bobbinogs
    Fenred wrote:
    Jainsy, what pedals/shoes/cleats are you using?

Time RXS
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I ended up ditching my Time pedals because I couldn't get out of them. I switched to SPDs where conversely I find getting in to them a pain. On balance, I find this the preferable option. Maybe you'll find a different system more to your liking.

Edit. Just realized I'm in the road section. My contribution may be utter b0ll0cks.
  • jainsy
    Ok. I spent the best part of 40 minutes pedaling up and down my road just clicking in and out and getting an idea for the exact position my feet need to be in. Even managed a few times without looking.

Dont know why I didnt do this as soon as I got the pedals!! I also adjusted the LHS too.

Last question. I clip in my right first and then my left, I only seem to be able to mange the clip on the left on the down stroke of the pedal, this is normal?
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Yep thats how to do it, once youve got the tab in the hook a good push on the downstroke as you set off should engage it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep; you'd struggle to do it on the up-stroke! I have my SPDs set to max tension so I really have to stamp on them to engage
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Yep, its on the down stroke that you'll get them in.

If going from stationary I'll clip right in at the bottom of the stroke then bring the pedal to the top. When setting off a good down stroke will send you forward and give you time to get the front of your left in the hook, by the time I hit the bottom of the down stroke for the left it should be clipped in.