Isle of Man?

El Gordo
El Gordo Posts: 394
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone toured on the Isle of Man? I was wondering about going for a three or four day trip in July with the family so mileages will be tiny (like 20 miles a day, tops).

Just wondering if it's a good place to ride? I'm assuming the TT route is best avoided!

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'd like to cycle it myself one day. It has been used for professional racing until quite recently and the TT route was used.
    I should imagine there are some decent climbs so all the best and let us know how you get on.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Did a Charity mass ride there based in Ramsey a few years ago around the northern coast.The next day from Douglas to Calf of Man on A folding bike so its easy riding.if you hug the coast. .Night riding was .pitch black with no lighting on some roads.Tthe minitutre coastal steam train Ramsey-Douglas is very scenic..and I think they take bikes.My folder was no problem
    jc
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    So no problem with motorbikes batting round pretending they're Carl Fogarty?
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've ridden a motorbike and driven there and it seems like it should be pretty cycle friendly as the road users seem pretty aware. I didn't do much pretending I was Carl Fogarty (although I'm grumpy enough) but I did hit 150mph+ in a few places - feels very wierd that it's legal!

From a cycling perspective the mountain route from Ramsey to Douglas would be good in either direction, although I reckon I'd be more inclined to stick to the coast roads.