Cornwall / Perranporth area

lioneld
lioneld Posts: 69
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Anyone local to the above?
I'm heading there on thurs for a holiday - bike is of course coming with me (cant slack off with sportives on the horizon) just wondered if anyone knew the area/any good routes, rides down that way

ta
All Italian

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I know the area well, having been going to Cornwall regularly for the last 15 years. The 2 things you need to be prepared for are hills, wind and changeable weather. Stay clear of the main road (A30) as it's too busy - get yourself the OS 1:25,000 map and go exploring. The coast road in either direction is worth a ride - head west to Portreath and get yourself a breakfast bap at the Atlantic cafe, ride down to Hayle and then head inland to the other side of Redruth and back along the top of the moors, stopping for an icecream at Callestick Farm on the way back.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I am headed down there myself in a couple of weeks... 20th - 24th ....Bike will also be coming....

Is anyone else around over this week .. We could maybe go for a ride out ..?
  • lioneld
    lioneld Posts: 69
    Only there until the 12th fella otherwise I would have gladly joined you. Cheers Monty dog - no time to purchase an OS before Thurs, but will pen the places you mentioned and set off with a postit in my pocket!
    All Italian
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Some of the best riding is further down. If you have a day trip to St Ives or thereabouts- put the bike in the car and ride the coast road from St Ives, via Zennor, to St Just. I think it's one of the loveliest cycling roads anywhere- short, savage hills; fast, twisting, but visible descents, and a glorious view. Take any of the inland roads back (avoiding the A30 and other bigger roads), perhaps via Penzance.

The Gurnard's Head pub, near Zennor on the coast road, is convenient and good food also.

Nearer to you, the Porthtowan/ Portreath/ Gwithian coast road is lovely, too. The inland options around there aren't great- it's easy to get caught up in "world of industrial estates" around Camborne. There are nice, tiny, wooded, farm roads everywhere, however, a bit further in around Carn Brea and Carnkie. I live locally, but by then I'm away in London for work, or I'd offer to join you.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree on the coast road from St Ives to St Just having just spent 2 weeks at Kelynack, outside St Just and probably rode it 10 times in 14 days. A good 50 miler is to then drop down towards Land's End and take the road via Trethewey, south of St Buryan, skirting Lamorna, Mousehole etc, around Penzance via Gulval and then climbing over the top to St Ives via Nancledra. Generally, you 'drop in' to most of the coastal villages and be prepared for a steep climb out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cheers for the tips ... I will give it a try. I have been meaning to do more hill work, so this sounds perfect ..! :)

Now lets just hope my new bike arrives before then ..! :P
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I'm jealous - one of my favourite areas (although I'm mostly surfing rather than cycling).

St.Agnes is a few miles south of Perranporth & has a beacon with some pretty steep pulls, especially if you do beach to beach - Trevaunce to Chapel Porth to PorthTowan etc etc...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Avezius wrote:
    I'm jealous - one of my favourite areas (although I'm mostly surfing rather than cycling).

St.Agnes is a few miles south of Perranporth & has a beacon with some pretty steep pulls, especially if you do beach to beach - Trevaunce to Chapel Porth to PorthTowan etc etc...

Don't try Rocky Lane after leaving the Driftwood Spa. :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."