Removing freehub

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I thought I'd post this in here, since you guys are much more responsive than the Road forum!

I'm trying to remove the freehub from a road wheel (Specialized hubs, no model name/number). I'm following the Park Tools guide to Freehub servicing and the first step is to remove the axle. Strangely on this hub, there are no locknuts or cones visible, just what look like metal seals on both the drive and non-drive side of the axle. I've tried removed the little grub screws from each one, but they won't budge, and there are no spanner flats visible anywhere, so I'm lost for what to try next!

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like the grub screws are the way forward here. The end caps probably pull off when removed.
  • buckmulligan
    I've removed the grub screws (after these pics were taken) and the black metal dust seals still won't budge. Even tried gripping it with mole grips (with an inner tube to stop it chewing up the metal) and tugging on it, but definitely won't move. The grub screws are fairly corroded, so should I try soak it in some penetrant?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    or grip with a vice and pull off
  • buckmulligan
    cooldad wrote:
    Hammer.

This was my next thought, since this thread seems to suggest it's the way to go once you've got the black metal dust seals off.

If that's the case, surely they can't be cup and cone bearings, because you'd never be able to get the right tension again when you reassemble the axle? I'm thinking they might be a similar design to the 'A DT-Hugi® Freehubs' that are on the Park Tools Freehub servicing page, in which case it would seem that force would be the way to go.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Possibly have cartridge bearings like the HoPe Pro 2 hubs
  • buckmulligan
    Success! Well partially...

The dust seals do come off once the grub screws are removed, allbeit by gripping each one with a mole grip, twisting a lot to loosen them up and then slowly inching it off. I now have the axle out, but it would appear the freehub is screwed into the hub body with a massive allen bolt (looks about 12mm, biggest allen key I have is 10mm) that is only accessible from the non-drive side.

Once I find a big enough allen key, which way should I be turning it to get it out. Presumably the same way as the ratchet mechanism, so counter-clockwise when viewed from the drive side? I don't imagine this will be an easy task either :roll:
  • morleyman200
    morleyman200 Posts: 513
    sounds very similar to my specialized mountain bike hubs, it took alot of force to get the end caps off, and mine had cartridge bearings, then i had to smack the axel with a hammer to get it it to come out, (hit it drive side) and it comes out the non drive side.
    by the way i used wood in between the hammer and the axel

Tom
  • buckmulligan
    Yeah that's exactly what I did. Did you get the freehub off? If so, what size allen key did it take?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Should be anti clockwise as looking from the drive side.

Spesh hubs are odd balls. Some take 9mm, others the standard 10mm, some 12mm!
  • buckmulligan
    Ok, thanks.

Yeah a 10mm key is definitely too small, but I'm on the case. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put two allen keys in to find outy the size.

a 5 and a 6mm gives an 11mm allen key size. *(7/16" allen keys cost less).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • buckmulligan
    nicklouse wrote:
    put two allen keys in to find outy the size.

a 5 and a 6mm gives an 11mm allen key size. *(7/16" allen keys cost less).

Ahhh, that's a very good tip! It's a 12mm as I suspected, but alas I've had to order one so my poor bike is going to have to stay in pieces for a few days.

If only I had seven 4mm allen keys, I could build myself a 12mm one! :?
  • buckmulligan
    If only I had seven 4mm allen keys, I could build myself a 12mm one! :?

Actually, that's completely wrong. :oops: