Broken Clavicle

jacko1
jacko1 Posts: 10
edited June 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi, broke my clavicle 4 weeks ago and surgery to fit a plate 2 weeks ago, feeling quite good considering, can anyone provide feedback re healing time etc. Already doing shoulder exercises and small weights, how long b4 you rode again? I mainly ride places like Llandegla, Cannock, Lee Quarry etc doing full loops, no DH. Thanks 8)

Comments

• Are they going to take the plate out?

If so, I would seriously wait until the plate is taken out, as if you land heavily on it the screws can do all kinds of nasty damage internally to bits you dont want to damage, including piercing top of lung!...

My screws were very prominent out bottom of clavical... of course your shoulder op may be totally different?

N whats 6-8 weeks off bike, compared to potentially a lot worse?

Good luck on your recovery

and sounds sad, but the best feeling when back riding is coming off hard on shoulder and it feels fine!
  • jacko1
    Thanks for that, said if i want plate taking out it would be roughly 12 to 14 months b4 they do it and they may decide that its best left in?. Yeah me 2, two pins very prominent at base near sternum, proper rubs on my clothes :o
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    jacko1 wrote:
    Hi, broke my clavicle 4 weeks ago and surgery to fit a plate 2 weeks ago...

2 weeks, that's lucky. I had a bad break several years ago here in the UK. The hospital said they'd get in touch with a date for the operation (needed a hook plate inserted) but after several weeks waiting I got back in touch. They'd forgotten about me, apparently there was a 'Temp' working at the time and she didn't hand over the information. Suddenly I was an emergency case. It still took two weeks from then.

Incidentally, I broke the other shoulder back home (Canada) and was in the hospital for surgery in two days.

Anyway, my hook plate was excruciating. They left me to get on with it but after some time I re-opened my file at the GP and demanded it be taken out. It constantly caused me pain. It took years to recover properly from that one but it was a pretty bad break and I think was left too long before surgery. If it hurts and is causing discomfort, get back to you GP and get it sorted. Don’t leave it.

What helped me though was to go swimming. It was a good way to help rebuild muscle and assist the rotator cuff and ligament healing process. In Canada I went to a really good physio so recommend finding one here too. Pay for it, it’s worth it.

Good luck for a speedy recovery.
    Many happy trails!
  • jacko1
    Cheers fella, thanks for that, will have to see how things go 1st & so far its good, consultant in 4 weeks so will re post then. :)