Lyrik solo airs high/low speed adjustments

J273
J273 Posts: 382
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive read the setup guide on the sram site and still struggling to set these up how i want.

The forks are great over the bigger stuff ,drops off etc but anything else they just seem far to rigid.

On my local trail theres a long sweeping loose fire road and these are more like rigid forks and about shake my teeth out and wash out on the bends.

The forks are set correctly sag wise and never bottom out.The forks have a low speed and high speed compression setting as well as rebound which i have bang in the middle.

Would you say the forks are re-bounding too quick for the surface making the front end wash out ?

Id lilke to just set and forget them but cant find an all round setting.

Anyone have the same fork?...what settings do you use?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so how much sag? and How are you setting the sag.

sounds like too high pressure if you are not bottoming them out.

Also what bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • J273
    30mm sag in attack position with all gear I'm running around 55psi in the shock

Specialized enduro 2010 s-works
  • for a 160mm fork 30mm sag isn't that much. try setting the sag to around 50mm and see if that helps.

if you have never bottomed them out then you are definitely running them too firm.
  • J273
    I've just realised I should be setting the fork 25-30% not mm :oops:

The forks are 170 with a spacer down to 160 and they are the solo air DH version...so when I get on the bike in the attack position the cable tie I have on the stanchion should measure approx 48-50mm form the top of the lower leg is that correct?

I'm approx running 55psi in the forks and I weigh 10st.7lbs

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Adjust the pressure until you get that sag. Sometimes forks bed in and you have to readjust later.

If the fork bobs around too much, add low speed damping.
  • J273
    Thanks guys ...no wonder they don't feel right then....they are currenty set at 30mm from the top of the lowers
  • J273
    Just adjusted them..when sit on the seat with gear they go to around 45mm from the seal to the cable tie and when I stand in the attach position they drop to 50mm.

They do seem very soft now as I have around 45psi in the forks.

Ill give them a proper test tomorrow and see how they go.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    J273 wrote:
    Just adjusted them..when sit on the seat with gear they go to around 45mm from the seal to the cable tie and when I stand in the attach position they drop to 50mm.

They do seem very soft now as I have around 45psi in the forks.

Ill give them a proper test tomorrow and see how they go.

so what is that in % of travel?

PS always measure how far the fork has compressed. the words you use are open to lots of different understanding (miss).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • J273
    edited May 2011
    30% ish

50mm from top of fork lower leg to cable tie .....110mm from cable tie to crown....so sag is 50mm

Is that correct?

2e3c40ed.jpg
    9e8928b4.jpg
    f8953dbe.jpg

I was originally setting it so they compressed to 30mm so sag would be 130mm
  • 30% ish

50mm from top of fork lower leg to cable tie .....110mm from cable tie to crown....so is the sag 110mm then not 50mm

Is that correct?

what you have there in those pictures is 50mm sag. you needn't worry about any of the measurements from the cable tie to the crown of the fork, its the measurement that is from the cable tie down to the dust wiper that is the important one.

if you still feel like they are not performing how you would like them to i would suggest downloading the cane creek double barrel manual, it goes into great detail about things like high and low speed compression and rebound damping and how to get them set in a place that works for you.
  • J273
    Thanks Ive just downloaded that and I'll have a read through.

So with 50mm sag I've effectively got 110mm of travel and 50mm is for the negative bumps?

I'll nip out today and dial in the rebound and high/low speed compression.

With the forks being pretty soft the last thing I want is for the fork to dive on bigger stuff and throw me over the bars.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to tune the damping adjusters. Do you have the manual?