which 1

carthorse1
carthorse1 Posts: 17
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
I am looking at buying a new bike and toiled between 2. my 2 choices are orbea onix.tlt with shimano ultegra runnin gear priced £1720 or specialized roubaix sl2 elite runnin gear shimano 105 priced £1650 not sure which is the best bike.
i have been told that the specialized maybe the best due to the long distance riding i do but not sure if this is a biased view as they don`nt stock orbea any comments would be appreciated

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    What long distance riding? you made it sound as if you were really experienced but if so why ask
  • carthorse1
    not experienced @ all, my previous bike is somewhat old and technology has moved on so much. When looking @ the bikes on sale, there is so much choice.
    The info i`ve been given from 3 retailers has boiled down to these 2 bikes so i was after a little advice from people out there who are probably more in the no than me and just some sales man
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't think there's much in it, but at that price range you should definitely be doing test rides to evaluate them for yourself, a lot of it will be down to personal preferences.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • carthorse1
    i even looked @ a ridley orion 1105a and orion 11005b priced roughly the same price but again they seemed roughly the same bike all in all
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Ultegra is obviously more expensive and a "better" groupset, probably worth more than the £100 difference. BUT if any of us on here did a blindfolded test i dont think we'd spot any difference. if you can try them both see what feels comfy.
    The real choice tho' is which one does it for you? they're both great bikes, there is no bucket of water over the door waiting to catch you out :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • carthorse1
    i have looked at the bike radar reviews on both bikes and they both seem good, it`s something i have not rushed into thanks for your last comment.
    1 of my worries was the warranty specialized seemed to have bad reviews on gettin the frame repaired /replaced if anything was to happen, whereas orbea i was concerned in returning this because this is being bought from a local shop which could be here today and gone tomorrow
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Specialized has one of the best warranty/frame replacement policies out there.
    As mention - Good options are really good bikes. Try both if you can ....And get the one YOU like best.
  • carthorse1
    i`d like to test the orbea but i can`t get it in my size it has to be ordered then i`m commited, the specialized is not a issue they will order a 58 "" and a 61"" i`m going too see if i can locate 1 of the orbea just for a test run