Bristol bikefeast - cant wait!

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited June 2011 in XC and Enduro
Only a matter of days before the Bristol Bikefeast. It's the first time I've been to a racing event this size and I can't wait! Looks amazing.

Are there many Biekradar members going?

Comments

• ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Also just thinking about what food to bring with me. There's the usual suspects:

Porridge
    Pasta
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Oatmeal bars

But what other food items are worth bringing along?

God, this is possibly the most boring post I've ever put on the site! :-(
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Im going! Really looking forward to it 8) Im not camping though. Driving there sunday morning should take about 2 hrs, sign on and get myself sorted.
    I am down for the 6h enduro but may change to the 3hr due to a slight knee problem. Will see how it goes.
    For the 6h enduro im not too sure how to go about food and water. 3 litres wont last so would need to top up at some point. Water will have some High 5 tablets in it.
    Food wise i will eat a nice big pasta the night before and on the way to the event a tasty wholemeal sandwich with tuna and veg plus a slice of flap jack :D .
    Will take an evergy gel minutes before start and another near end. Will prob use energy bars or flapjack inbetween.
    3h enduro would be about the same just dont need to refill camelbak during race and wont need as much food during race either.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I'll be there, bright and breezy on the Saturday morning! Only a 20 min cycle ride from the house, so nice and easy!

Doing the 12 hr solo (Old Gits) event, so anyone riding on the Saturday.. look out for the old guy looking very tired on a Commie Super 4!

As for food... just going to rely on energy drink & bars this time. Last time I tried adding in a little pasta at the half way mark, but it was hard going for about an hour afterwards.

Course is looking good as they have just revamped the most boring section of the course (up to the top of the quarry).

So food will be dull for the ride, but will treat myself to a burger and a beer after the event! Little and often works for me.
    Simon
  • ianm7222
    ianm7222 Posts: 51
    6 hr solo for me, a few mates are doing it as a team, but I don't fancy sitting out 75% of the riding while the other three do laps.

My fifth bike fest, done bristol three years running and managed cheddar bike fest too, but this one far more fun.

High 5+ in my camel pack (1.5litres) and vit - c soluble drink in my 750ml bottle, expecting to fill them both up around at around 3hrs. Taking the tablets with me for the refills to save time. There is usually a water bowser near the start/finish area.

Mule bars, broken into thirds one for each lap (aiming for 8 as I managed 6 last year), have an assortment of gels too. Saving an SIS choc orange bar for near the end as a real treat to keep me going, not eating it till lap 7 - it's all a mind game and I use bribery on my body :-)

Taking a newbie with me too.

Should be great, weather is looking promising too!
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • springtide9
    Is everyone ready? :) Just reminded myself..... to drink lots of water today to keep really well hydrated!

Lovely and sunny in Bristol today - remember suncream!!!
    Simon
  • shaunlfc1
    shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
    I'll be there as well, my first proper biking event, really looking forward to it. I am competing with 3 other friends in the open 12hr as a team of 4, and camping from tonight until Sunday.

It'll be just my trusty water bottle and small pasta helpings between laps for me.

Just hope my Stumpy rear wheel holds up after Brechfa last week seems to have had an affect on it, I dont have access to a chain whip until tomorrow morning pre-race to look at the bearings so fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone!!
  • springtide9
    Weekend results:

Saturday:
    http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/upload ... esults.pdf

Sunday:
    http://www.timelaps.co.uk/assets/upload ... esults.pdf

Had a bit of a mare on Saturday - got pretty dehydrated... but recovered eventually.
    In the 12 hrs... 8 litres of fluids in.. 3 stops to the loo! Not ideal.

Managed 20 laps in the 12 hrs (11:37:42) - roughly 106 miles. 12th (43) - so still reasonably happy. Lucky number 408.

00:30:53 | 00:27:33 | 00:28:23 | 00:29:31 | 00:30:38
    00:31:03 | 00:32:13 | 00:40:24 | 00:32:09 | 00:36:03
    00:33:13 | 01:03:15 | 00:31:41 | 00:37:34 | 00:32:30
    00:33:23 | 00:48:32 | 00:32:16 | 00:33:42 | 00:32:37

Did a 100 mile road Sportive a month ago.. if any roadie ever says MTB is easier... they are really having a laugh!

The new BMX Quary section on Saturday was superb. Most laps.. managed to rest a little on the slight climb to the top quarry section.. pass a few of the back markers at the top of that section.... and blast down the berms. Amazing. amazing. amazing. Loved it. Always loved that section and was worried they'd trashed it.. but no.. it's better.. much better!!!

Hope everybody else has a great day! I hear Sunday was a little damp - and I assume the new sloping banked section (on your way to the downhill zig-zag) would have been pretty tricky!

Look forward to reading other people's reports.. :)
    Simon
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    Look forward to reading other people's reports.. :)

here's mine, did the 12 hr solo

finished 3rd at Erlestoke the weekend before, but had entered Bikefest months ago as loved it last year, was my first 12 hr,

started okay and then put in some sub 26 min laps and got up to 2nd place,

then on the Beggar Bush section was given clearance to pass a slow rider, but another rider decided to undertake us both, bars tangled and ended up on the floor, both riders cleared off, leaving a couple of guys to help pick me up, top fellas,

back on with slight buckle to front wheel, got into 1st place, then on lap 12 clipped a tree whilst taking a short cut on beggars bush, front wheel decided that was enough, so did my helmet and shoulder, off to ambulance, all okay, home, very sore, pub
  • springtide9
    amt27 wrote:

here's mine, did the 12 hr solo
    back on with slight buckle to front wheel, got into 1st place, then on lap 12 clipped a tree whilst taking a short cut on beggars bush, front wheel decided that was enough, so did my helmet and shoulder, off to ambulance, all okay, home, very sore, pub

Oh bugger! That sounds very unlucky :( Hope you recover soon. Just looked at your lap times and they were very fast and consistent.

You must have been one of those Whippets that kept coming flying past me!
    Simon
  • shaunlfc1
    shaunlfc1 Posts: 132
    Hi all,

Loved every minute of my first ever MTB race. I entered with friends in the Male x4 team event. Superb day, great track will be back next year.

We finished in 17th place, and I consistently lapped at 25-27 minutes, and brought our race home with the last lap at 26 minutes. Nothing compared to you solo guys, take my hat off to you there, but still not bad for a big lump, riding a 140mm travel Stumpjumper!

See you all next year!

Shaun