Col de la Sarenne road surface

sancho_panza
sancho_panza Posts: 183
Quick question:

Riding the col de la Sarenne from Alpe d'Huez, descending to La Freney, I know there are some run-off gullies just after Alpe d'Huez but does anyone know for how long they continue and then to what extent they might hinder a descent?

Thinking in advance for the Vaujany sportive at the end of the month

Cheers

Steve B

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Was there last year and the road surface between alpe d'huez and the sarenne was a bit dodgy, especially straight after alpe d'huez. However, it was perfectly rideable as long as you were careful. The descent didnt seem too bad from what i remember.
  • fridgeboy
    fridgeboy Posts: 37
    Also there last year (June). The top section was covered in fallen rocks and closed to traffic. We ignored the signs and went down anyway. I guess those rocks will all be cleared away by the sportive organisers before your event. There are quite a lot of large run-off gullies but as already mentioned, if you are a bit careful you shouldn't have any problem.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I'd descend slowly on there if I were you.
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    On last years Vaujany the rocks had been cleared but there were small stones and gravel for the first 200-300 metres on the descent. The surface was damaged but ok down through the hairpins. Once clear of the hairpins the descent was fine. The rain gullies were a pain though on the Alpe D'Huez side. I drove up there a few days before so I knew what to expect, it may be worth doing that if you can (watch the bigger rain gullies if ground clearance is tight on your car!).
  • sancho_panza
    sancho_panza Posts: 183
    that's very helpful. A quick drive through before - I guess the pack will be pretty well dispersed by then anyway so it won't be frantic. Don't fancy breaking my wheels for a few extra seconds.
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    Very dispersed unless you've stayed with a group upto Alpe D'Huez! Actually there was a feed station near the heliport last year so a few of us left together - it was a a really pleasant section of the event to ride with others for a bit of support for each other!

I enjoyed La Vaujany last year, a real good event - good luck with it!