Best Beacons trail to try - Blue or easy Red.

phz
phz Posts: 478
edited June 2011 in Routes
Off to S Wales tomorrow with my wife.

Going to have a day at Brechfa, but will be camping near Brecon. On the Beacons website there seem to be quite a few graded natural trails in the Beacons - anyone offer suggestions of the best blue/red ones to try?

I'm a pretty confident 'red' rider (trail centre wise have done Laggan and Dalby), but my wife isn't yet confident on anything harder than a blue or easy red (she has happily done Thetford and Sherwood reds for example).

Thanks in advance.

slainte :?: rob

Comments

• mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    Don't know where abouts in the Brecon Beacons your staying but I would recommend these two rides:

The Gap:
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/hubs/brecon/the-gap

Mynydd du Forest:
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/hubs/ ... -du-forest

These are both red trails, but apart from the 'Gap' Descent there is'nt too much technical riding. The Gap descent is great fun but you can easily walk down it if needs be.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    The grading of these is nothing like the grading you find at trail centres.

I've done Mynydd Du forest a couple of times - it's a long day with a hard climb towards the end, but technically it's really straightforward. I guess the red ranking is an indication of required fitness and navigational skills. Got a GPS?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Mynydd Illtud is straight forward if you have the map, it leaves from the brecon visitors centre near Libanus which has a car park (£.2.50) a day which is handy, it comes in at 19 or so K there is a fair ammount of road riding though maybe 5k? and requires lots of gate work.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the replies.

Did the 'official' Gap route in the end - great day out (although my wife wasn't saying that at various uphill points and looser surfaced downhill bits during the ride) and the weather was spot on too.

Some grinding climbs but 3 good descents (off the tramway into the valley, off the Gap itself although I bottled that first steepest section before it turns left into the main descent, and the 'tree tunnel' rocky rooty drop into Brecon).

P1010032a.JPG

P1010041a.JPG

slainte :D rob