Second hand carbon frames

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Is there much of a market in them? Would you buy one and what fraction of original cost would you consider reasonable for <10 000 miles used on a top end frameset and forks (now retailing new at £2500 ish)
ta

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    JamesB wrote:
    Is there much of a market in them? Yes of course - people new to cycling are always on the lookout for a carbon bargain Would you buy one yes, I have done in the past andhave no qualms about buying them if the price is right and the condition is good and what fraction of original cost would you consider reasonable for <10 000 miles used on a top end frameset and forks well that depends on the condition and brand of course (now retailing new at £2500 ish)
    ta

Let me know what you are selling - show me the imperfections and I'll maybe offer you a price :D
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    there's no warranty on a second hand frame and you don't know it's history- so never more than 50% of it's new RRP

I have seen sellers who advertises a 2nd hand frame at the new price, as it is a rare colour or has a seatpost with it, and doesnt let on that there is no warranty

Frames that cost around £2000 new have gone for as little as £500-£600 on ebay

I would try to get proof of purchase and check out the serial number before buying.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Difficulty with 2nd hand carbon is that it may have had a crash, no visible damage, but damaged in the fibres that will make it soft - or go soft over time. Hard to tell.

I row, I collided in my carbon fibre rowing boat with another boat. It bent the aluminium rigger which I got replaced but the hull looked fine. After a number of months a patch of the hull went soft, lost it's stiffness - I could push it in whereas before I couldn't. It only became noticeable over time.

If you get a 2nd hand carbon from someone you don't know how to be sure the same thing doesn't happen?

If you get a 2nd hand alu/steel if it looks fine it probably is.