changing shimano pads

kayvan
kayvan Posts: 39
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi every one
its the time for replacing my original slx brake pads. since they are working well and do not need bleeding i was just wondering is it necessary to remove the cap of master cylinder while pushing back the pistons or i can do that without removing those and just put the new pads on?
thank you very much.

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    kayvan wrote:
    hi every one
    its the time for replacing my original slx brake pads. since they are working well and do not need bleeding i was just wondering is it necessary to remove the cap of master cylinder while pushing back the pistons or i can do that without removing those and just put the new pads on?
    thank you very much.

No need to remove the master cap, just push the pistons back.
  • kayvan
    kayvan Posts: 39
    thank you dirtydog 11.
    kayvan
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Just in case / not being patronising - leave the old pads in while pushing the pistons back.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Give everything a good clean before you push the pistons back and its often a good idea to put a drop of brake fluid (make sure you use mineral oil not DOT for Shimano) on the side of the piston let it soak in to lube the seals before you push them back, makes everything nice and smooth and can cure a sticky piston.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap