£2500k frame?

canbakay
canbakay Posts: 282
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
HELP!!!

Alright fellas, im looking for a new frame - been looking for about a month now and still completely undecided!!

Budget is £2500/$4000.

My training bike is 2011 madone with ksyrium elites
Racer is/was 2010 r3 sram red with cosmic carbone sl.
Im incredibly pleased with the r3 but unfortunately its got early retirement coming, got full refund on the frame and the cosmics carbones. I was sold on false pretences - 1 year LBS warranty vs. lifetime cervelo warranty!

Got 2011 404 clinchers with a %35 discount.

SO that leaves me with 404s, sram red groupo and 3t finishes waiting.

I am completely confused as to which frame to get as a new racer;
i) its gotta be able to handle the roads in london (so not really an S2 tho i love it),
ii) also undecided between aero and lightweight - leaning towards a road aero bike (some hills on races and long rides but no euro mountain style),
iii) now this one is hard to explain, apologise for the vanity but i value the opinions tossed around on br so gotta be honest THUS gotta be some sort of aura/heritage, a certain mean race look to the bike...for example the dogma, maclaren venge (minus the maclaran writing)

saw that the 2010 sky dogmas are on sale at 2500......but sky writing is putting me off.

Thank you all from now!
Dogma
Madone
R3
Point Reyes
Raleigh Burner
Boris

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Lucky you!!
    While I'll be no help, I would like to be in your position!
    Tough choice between Cervelo, Colnago or top of the range
    Canyon in matt black for me! 8)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    saw that the 2010 sky dogmas are on sale at 2500......but sky writing is putting me off.

Me too. (not that I can afford one). I think if I'd your budget a Storck might be on my list.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Muztard
    Muztard Posts: 160
    What's wrong with the R3?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've been blown away by the balance provided by my Willier Cento Uno. Worth a try if you can.

Peter
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    canbakay wrote:

i) its gotta be able to handle the roads in london (so not really an S2 tho i love it),

how many races are you going to be doing in London..?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you like the Venge without the mclaren writing then what about a Venge?

What was wrong with the R3.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    My LBS has a red/White Pinarello Prince frame for 22something if you like PIna's. Can't remember what size it is though, you'd have to give them a call (Phil Corley in Milton Keynes)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    northpole wrote:
    I've been blown away by the balance provided by my Willier Cento Uno. Worth a try if you can.

+ 1

I narrowed my choices down to the Cento Uno and the r3. Finally decided to go for the former because not only is it a great bike to ride it's also stunning to look at :-)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    helluva choice for this kind of money ....
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Can't fault my Cento Uno - then again most people tend to like their bike when they have paid a bit for it!

You will find it hard to get a dud at this money - so just buy what takes your fancy!
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    My LBS has a Trek 2011 Madone 6.9 SSL H2 Fit Frameset 58cm for £2400
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/124992.html

I wouldn't go for a sky dogma, ive heard the frames have only 1 year warranty on them.

Get a chinese frame & treat yourself to a nice holiday with the left over :D
  • Anonymous
    I'd probably get a Pegoretti Marcelo or Independent Fabrication crown jewel and spend the change on a cycling holiday in the alps...

Enigma would have been on the list but for personal reasons isn't any more.

I'd also consider a Feather too...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Enigma would have been on the list but for personal reasons isn't any more.

I think you should say more. Or less. :wink:
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Was in a similar position a while ago. Narrowed it down to Look 586 or an R3,

Went with the look in the end as had been lusting after it for ages. Price is within your budget and I've had it a month now, clocked up some miles and totally blown away by it, come home with a grin on my face after every ride. Responsive, climbs well, confidence inspiring on descents cant fault it.
  • R3 is a nice bike, but it feels a long way from top of the range now the R5ca is around! I know it shouldn't matter but it sort of does! All the R series bikes do ride very well, better for the uk roads than the s series IMHO.

Ive got a Giant TCR Advanced SL frame which is a really nice price of kit, not the most exclusive brand but it's a great bike and the frame retails for 2500

A friend of mine just bought a sky dogma and removed the sky stickers - they are literally just stickers - and that looks really cool with all black kit on it. Rides well too, although a little heavy for the asking price in my opinion!

Either that or wait for the Cannondale Supersix EVO and buy the full SRAM red bike for just 4k ! I do a lot of work with Cannondale and that bike is streets ahead of the competition, especially at that price!
  • canbakay
    canbakay Posts: 282
    ok fellas im no photo shop artist, this is pretty crappy quality but shows a bike that doesn't exist (yet)

tell me what you think!!!

(my hands dont work well with campy sr11, so thats out)

5797172750_83de9f47d1_b.jpg
    dream dogma by canbakay, on Flickr
    Dogma
    Madone
    R3
    Point Reyes
    Raleigh Burner
    Boris
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Cervelo....end of!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Isn't that frame in the china thread?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Isn't that frame in the china thread?

Yes, £380
  • Anonymous
    Well, that's a big saving. OP wanted to spend 2.5k and comes away with spending 380! Result! :o
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    looks funny though...looks like a bike Mr Tickle would ride
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Don't know if they come frame only but . . . . . MCipollini RB1000

http://www.mcipollini.com/en/biciclette/rb1000
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    canbakay wrote:
    ok fellas im no photo shop artist, this is pretty crappy quality but shows a bike that doesn't exist (yet)

tell me what you think!!!

(my hands dont work well with campy sr11, so thats out)

5797172750_83de9f47d1_b.jpg
    dream dogma by canbakay, on Flickr

Stem is the wrong colour. Just sayin' like...

:D
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    canbakay wrote:
    HELP!!!

Alright fellas, im looking for a new frame - been looking for about a month now and still completely undecided!!

Budget is £2500/$4000.

My training bike is 2011 madone with ksyrium elites
    Racer is/was 2010 r3 sram red with cosmic carbone sl.
    Im incredibly pleased with the r3 but unfortunately its got early retirement coming, got full refund on the frame and the cosmics carbones. I was sold on false pretences - 1 year LBS warranty vs. lifetime cervelo warranty!

Got 2011 404 clinchers with a %35 discount.

SO that leaves me with 404s, sram red groupo and 3t finishes waiting.

ii) also undecided between aero and lightweight - leaning towards a road aero bike (some hills on races and long rides but no euro mountain style),
    iii) now this one is hard to explain, apologise for the vanity but i value the opinions tossed around on br so gotta be honest THUS gotta be some sort of aura/heritage, a certain mean race look to the bike...for example the dogma, maclaren venge (minus the maclaran writing)

Thank you all from now!

Give Mal Pires a ring at Le Beau Velo in Shoreditch, and get measured and fitted for a made to measure Viner Perfecta.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Save a fortune and buy the Canyon CF SLX Evo.

Better then Cervelo imo and cheaper.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2141
  • Anonymous
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Save a fortune and buy the Canyon CF SLX Evo.

Better then Cervelo imo and cheaper.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2141

Which Cervelo frame did you compare it with? Did it have the same finishing kit/wheels as the canyon?

Just interested as I am tempted with a canyon and have owned a Cervelo in the past...