Clipless or flats

Richie_79
Richie_79 Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Ok I am not new to the mountain biking scene, but I have been away from it a lomg while!
I have just taken delivery of a spanking new specialized rockhopper 2011 and very pleased with it. The bike seems excellent apart from the pedals (cheap and nasty plastic jobbies) I am torn between what type of pedals to get , people always bang on about clipless, although I just dont like the idea of them certainly not yet anyway. I do like the idea of flat pedals with the pins in and a good sturdy pair of flat trainers. I would be intrested in what you guys would recommend ? I will using the bike locally aswell as trips to dalby. Im not after competing or anything just want some gear that will help give me a bit of confidence on the bike and help make it stable so I can stand on the flat pedals and judge the more technical parts of a trail.

Thanks Rich

Comments

• toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    i use trainers and have added a pair of DMR V8's to mine so far no splipage
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Proper cycling shoes have solid soles and it really helps. Get some shoes that will take SPD cleats and run them with flat pedals until you're happy with your bike handling skills. Then convert to Shimano M520 pedals and cleats.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Same old questions...

What I will add though is my disappointment at how Spesh ship bikes with such downright dangerous pedals. I've had a 2008 and a 2010 Rockhopper and the stock pedals had no pins, nobbles or protrusions of any description. Given the slightest bit of rain or mud, it was like trying to pedal on blocks of ice. I lasted two trips (and three painful incidents involving my crotch and the top tube/saddle) before I binned them. Disgraceful.
  • toastedone
    toastedone Posts: 838
    Same old questions...

What I will add though is my disappointment at how Spesh ship bikes with such downright dangerous pedals. I've had a 2008 and a 2010 Rockhopper and the stock pedals had no pins, nobbles or protrusions of any description. Given the slightest bit of rain or mud, it was like trying to pedal on blocks of ice. I lasted two trips (and three painful incidents involving my crotch and the top tube/saddle) before I binned them. Disgraceful.

I have a 2011 RH and althougt it came with the plastic pedals i must say they did have pins on them, but..... they were the first thing i changed, i agree disappointing.
  • LAUNCH69
    LAUNCH69 Posts: 119
    Same old questions...

I back this 110% - I have a 2008 Rockhopper. The original pedals were fine in flat and dry conditions. Add a hint of moisture and Whoosh off came your feet - usually at the worst time. This mentally scarred me so badly that I immediately went to clipless.

However . . . . .

Being clipped in was very secure and I did not once have any slippage issues.

but . . .

It did not make up for my lack of positioning/body language. Also I had a few comedy crashes chasing friends who were faster than me and I could not unclip fast enough :oops:

Today I run superstar Nano Techs(Flats) with Shimano am41's. I have good grip on my pedals (not as much as cliplesss) BUT I can move around more and DAB to save my unskilled arse from as many crashes. I have read many skills related articles and have learnt to drop my heels and adopt the 'attack' position. Learning to move with the bike and read the traill has helped massively and now I flow faster . . .

Please note that 'faster' probably means slow to many people but the smile is bigger! :D
    Specialized Rockhopper

Bike is still better than the rider . . .
  • buckmulligan
    Yeah, sounds lke they've changed the pedals for the 2011 model, because previously they were a full aluminium construction (no plastic).

At the time, I used the stock pedals from my old 2006 Hardrock; these were a plastic body with a metal cage + spikes kind of design and they were a massive improvement. Not sure the plastic would've held up to too much abuse but at least they were safe to use.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    unixnerd wrote:
    Proper cycling shoes have solid soles and it really helps. Get some shoes that will take SPD cleats and run them with flat pedals until you're happy with your bike handling skills. Then convert to Shimano M520 pedals and cleats.
    Or don't.
    And don't feel pressured into the "change to SPDs with experience/age/whatever bollox" nonsense.
    Flats or SPDs is a PERSONAL choice.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453

Rubbish.

Eggbeaters are the way to go :P

I agree it's personal preference. I can ride clipless or flats. Even though I am quicker with clipless I just prefer flats.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    All bikes come with poor pedals, unless they are built for a specific use EG Dirt jumping but even then they tend to be at the cheap end.

one of the first thin people do is fit pedal of choice. and fitting cheap pedals save the buyer a lot of money. No to mention the bike makers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My new bike doesnt even bloody come with pedals.. how disapointing is that!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    MG1s from HighOnBikes (£32)... Shimano AM41s.

I switched from spds for the winter, but I'll probably not switch back... the combination is very comfortable, and for me not being clipped in helps with confidence on the more technical sections :oops:
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    unixnerd wrote:
    Or don't.
    And don't feel pressured into the "change to SPDs with experience/age/whatever bollox" nonsense.
    +1 to what the mighty mcgee said. I've had so many people tell me to go clipless, especially from my club, who all ride pretty boring XC. I'm not a fan of that, I'd rather push my limits on more challenging terrain and that often means I need the ability to dab a foot when needed or even bail on a jump.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It is personal though I use spd's for xc & flats for DH & trail riding. Flats mean you need to learn better technique & spd's are better for climbing though some DH racers use spd's because it's easier to keep pedalling over really rough ground.
    As flast are cheaper why not try a set of Superstar flat pedals with some flat soled trainers & see how you get on, if this doesn't work for you put the pedals on ebay & get spd shoes & pedals.
  • darpots
    darpots Posts: 12
    If you can afford both then give SPD's a go. I tried SPD's for 9 months, they didn't work for me dispite all the advantages but that doesn't mean they won't work for you. I just personally prefer flats, but that's my choice.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    unixnerd wrote:
    Or don't.
    +1 to what the mighty mcgee said. I've had so many people tell me to go clipless, especially from my club, who all ride pretty boring XC. I'm not a fan of that, I'd rather push my limits on more challenging terrain and that often means I need the ability to dab a foot when needed or even bail on a jump.

SPDs and 'gnarr' riding are not mutually exclusive. I could make an internet claim to be more hardcore than you because I can ride technical trails with clipless pedals. Might not be true (I have no idea what your version of technical, or 'pushing limits' is).

OP: Yeeha's post speaks the truth. You don't have to have clipless to be 'proper', and the same goes for flats. Try SPDs sometime, give them enough time to get over the initial weirdness, and see if you prefer them. Anything you can do with flat pedals, you can do with SPDs, within reason so the most important thing for the average rider is simply what you feel comfortable with in the end.
  • getonyourbike
    warpcow wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:
    Or don't.

SPDs and 'gnarr' riding are not mutually exclusive. I could make an internet claim to be more hardcore than you because I can ride technical trails with clipless pedals. Might not be true (I have no idea what your version of technical, or 'pushing limits' is).

OP: Yeeha's post speaks the truth. You don't have to have clipless to be 'proper', and the same goes for flats. Try SPDs sometime, give them enough time to get over the initial weirdness, and see if you prefer them. Anything you can do with flat pedals, you can do with SPDs, within reason so the most important thing for the average rider is simply what you feel comfortable with in the end.
    agree with what you've said totally. It's what you're comfortable with. I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that I couldn't quickly dab when I need to and being attached to the bike when I crash.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I ride both...

Horses for courses.
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    As iv said before-

Toe clips. They are the futre!!
  • getonyourbike
    As iv said before-

I hope you're joking. They're like clipless except they're hell to get out of. stupid things
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pedals are so last year just drop your seat put some running shoes on and just paddle the bike along.

I have never understood this use flats so you can put your foot down thing. I use flats and SPD and the only time I put my foot down is to stop or a millisecond before I crash. Never once been able to recover a slide by putting a foot down surely if your going fast enough to get out of shape your going too fast to put a foot down without risking busting your ankle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • getonyourbike
    stubs wrote:
    Pedals are so last year just drop your seat put some running shoes on and just paddle the bike along.

I have never understood this use flats so you can put your foot down thing. I use flats and SPD and the only time I put my foot down is to stop or a millisecond before I crash. Never once been able to recover a slide by putting a foot down surely if your going fast enough to get out of shape your going too fast to put a foot down without risking busting your ankle.
    if you've some footage of downhill, you'll see it done quite a lot, especially on muddy or loose corners. And how can you knock it if you've never tried it?
  • Richie_79
    Richie_79 Posts: 3
    Cheers guys

Yes the new rockhopper comes with truely terrible pedals (The seats not brillant either but hopefully my arse with get used to that with some help with liner shorts) . I think I will take a look at some cheap flats and pair of sturdy looking Vans and go from there.

Cheers guys
  • buckmulligan
    nicklouse wrote:
    All bikes come with poor pedals, unless they are built for a specific use EG Dirt jumping but even then they tend to be at the cheap end.

one of the first thin people do is fit pedal of choice. and fitting cheap pedals save the buyer a lot of money. No to mention the bike makers.

Yeah, I accept that. I wouldn't mind if they were just poor quality, but the old Spesh pedals were downright dangerous.

People moan about the £50 bikes on sale from Sports Direct and various supermarkets being dangerous and 'unfit for use' and tbh these pedals fall firmly in the same category. I'd expect more from someone like Specialized who trade on their reputation.
  • stubs
    . And how can you knock it if you've never tried it?

Never tried what? dont understand what your on about
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • getonyourbike
    stubs wrote:

having a foot out/dabbing
  • stubs
    stubs wrote:

As far as I can tell from watching, reading about and falling off bikes putting a foot out isnt to stop yourself falling off its a deliberate thing done for balance when sliding the back end not to stop an off. Which I have done plenty of times using flats and SPD, using SPD doesnt stop you getting your foot out and sliding the back.

If your heading for the dirt at any speed dabbing your foot down is probably too late unless your Steve Peat
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    As iv said before-

I hope you're joking. They're like clipless except they're hell to get out of. stupid things

No not joking. I cant afford pedals and shoes and hate running flats because feet fall off everytime I jump or on bumpy ground.
    Iv been using them since early 90's. Granted they do make a bike look stupid but buy the right shoes and your feet will go in and out no problem.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sticking your foot out can mean the difference between stalling on a bend, or having your knee smashed into the ground.
  • getonyourbike
    stubs wrote:
    stubs wrote:

As far as I can tell from watching, reading about and falling off bikes putting a foot out isnt to stop yourself falling off its a deliberate thing done for balance when sliding the back end not to stop an off. Which I have done plenty of times using flats and SPD, using SPD doesnt stop you getting your foot out and sliding the back.

If your heading for the dirt at any speed dabbing your foot down is probably too late unless your Steve Peat
    It does actually save you from coming off and hitting the ground though. If the rear wheel is letting go and not coming back then you can put that foot down and you're fine. If you didn't, the rear would let go completely and you're gone.
  • getonyourbike
    Sticking your foot out can mean the difference between stalling on a bend, or having your knee smashed into the ground.
    that's what i'm getting at