Marin trail advice please

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited June 2011 in Routes
Hi Guys,

Need some advice please.

I will be going up to betws y coed on Tuesday for the night with the Wife, so have very limited time to myself. I don't think I could manage the full route, so is there a shorter version that's waymarked that I could do, or any other shorter trials near by?

Thanks,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    penmachno is close by as well, i've never ridden it (i will be next week though :D ) but everyone says how good it is. i think it's 22km, i didn't really like the marin but i know a lot of people do.:

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/bases ... achno.aspx

a bit shorter than the marin and from what i understand a lot better :D

or you could just do the initial climb of the marin and then hang a right at one of the first waymarkers to do the final descent...the only really good descent on the entire ride imo :D
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Marin is shortish and a fairly easy trail so if you're anywhere near fit you'll blast around it in a couple of hours.
  • welshkev
    ibbo68 wrote:
    The Marin is shortish and a fairly easy trail so if you're anywhere near fit you'll blast around it in a couple of hours.

shortish? i was fooked after riding it cos there was so much climbing :lol:

i'd hate to go out on a long ride with you :shock: :lol:
  • Darra8
    welshkev wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

I think I would be the same.

I'm only used to doing around 12K at a time, so there is no way I would have enough time or energy to do it all :oops:
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Best bet is to just do the first big climb and then come down the final downhills....

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/bases ... trail.aspx

Turn right at the crossroads at 'Pen y Parc'. Note that the crossroads aren't that obvious though - its more like a bit of singletrack crossing the fireroad that you will be climbing on.

As you are approaching the crossroads, you will see the back of the way mark post, from the trail you are crossing, on your left. if you reach the first bit of singletrack after the climb you know have missed the turning.

Stu
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    welshkev wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

I'm no racing snake.I just think that compared to Penmachno/CYB the Marin is probably the easier option!There is a lot of Fireroad climbing but even for an over-weight 43 year old like me It's not that bad :)
  • Darra8
    Thanks for the info guys. Doesn't look like I will get the chance to do it this time, the Wife has other ideas :shock:

Thanks...
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

or you could just do the initial climb of the marin and then hang a right at one of the first waymarkers to do the final descent...the only really good descent on the entire ride imo :D

if you just do this bit it'll only take you about half an hour i reckon...if that changes your mind at all? :D
  • King Nuts
    King Nuts Posts: 47
    You will do it easily in 3hrs. Drop the wife off at the nearest Marks & Spencer and that will give you at least a 4 hour slot. It's well worth doing the whole trail.
    "I"m over the hill so I"m not over the hill" !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    King Nuts wrote:
    You will do it easily in 3hrs. Drop the wife off at the nearest Marks & Spencer and that will give you at least a 4 hour slot. It's well worth doing the whole trail.
    Nearest Marks ans Spencer is a LOOOONG way away, in Llandudno.
    This is Betws y COED we're talking about! :lol:
    Loads of female friendly shops in the village though, and a great restaurant in Llanrwst.
  • Darra8
    I love Betws, but the Wife doesn't. It was my 40th so she agreed to spend the night there. I spent most of my time in the outdoor shops....I just love outdoor shops :D. I only managed a drive to find the trail head, but at least I know where it is now for a future trip. I'm only around 1.5 hours away, so quite doable in a day.

Is it all waymarked, as I will be doing it on my own, and my nav skills are sh!t?

Cheers,

Steve
  • Anonymous
    Yes, the Marin trail is quite clearly marked, as is the Penmachno trail, despite reent rumours.

Which reminds me...
    welshkev, have you done Penmachno yet? what did you think of it?
  • welshkev
    Yes, the Marin trail is quite clearly marked, as is the Penmachno trail, despite reent rumours.

Which reminds me...
    welshkev, have you done Penmachno yet? what did you think of it?

it was supposed to be today dude, but i'm on a bit of a time restriction so i'm gonna stop at nant yr arian instead as it's less out of my way..otherwise i'd be going up to penmachno and then accross to ewloe, this way i can stop at nant and then head straight over to wrexham...more or less :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I don't see how Nant yr Arian is on the way to Wrexham from anywhere :lol:
    Where are you starting off from? :?
  • welshkev
    coming up from cardiff, straight up the a470 and then over the a44 to nant, then back towards caersws, newtown, welshpool, wrexham... :lol:

not exactly on the way but not so much out of the way as penmachno would've been :lol:

i had a good ride there anyway..i reccomend nant yr arian as long as you don't mind a long dull fireroad climb in the middle :lol:
  • welshkev
    coming up from cardiff, straight up the a470 and then over the a44 to nant, then back towards caersws, newtown, welshpool, wrexham... :lol:

not exactly on the way but not so much out of the way as penmachno would've been :lol:

i had a good ride there anyway..i reccomend nant yr arian as long as you don't mind a long dull fireroad climb in the middle :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Well, as luck would have it, there's a crew of us heading to Nant yr Arian this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, it's somewhere I've never been.