What size Road bike do i need ?

Silversladey
Silversladey Posts: 450
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Sorry if this Question has been asked many times,

I am looking at getting a 2nd hand Road bike, but what size will i need

I am 6 foot tall 34 inch leg, i ride a 50cm (Large) Lapierre Mountain bike.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Pretty much the same size as me, riding a Large MTB, however I have a short upper body, technically all bike shops were advising me to go for a 58cm until i went a test rode a few. Turns out that i was more comfortable on a 56cm with a longer stem and seat post up.

Best advise is steel a bit of a shops time and get sized up to make sure, you wont enjoy the experience if you get the wrong size.

Cheers
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    56 or large but as already mentioned your better off going to a local shop and getting measured taking a few for a spin to gauge it.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    saprkzz wrote:
    Best advise is steel a bit of a shops time and get sized up to make sure
    Cheers
    I think what saprkzz meant was for you to PAY for the fitting (time) :wink:
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Unless you are happy that you are fairly 'standard' in your dimensions then just dismiss any manufacturer's guidance, posts on here or a quick up/down glance from a bike shop employee. You need at least a basic bike fit to really know what size you need to fit you. Additionally, different models have different geometries and dimensions and stated sizes often bear no relation to the crucial dimensions of top tube length etc - you ought to try before you buy or, the best option, is to get fitted and then understand how to translate your fitting.
    Of course, if you've never had problems on sock MTB's' with reach or saddle height (or any combination thereof) then you're probably OK and just go test riding - as a guide, your saddle position in relation to cranks and BB shouldn't be too far removed from on your mtb - bar reach and height should aim to get you in a comfortable (back around 45 degrees - not stretching and not too bent over) position when on the hoods (brake/gear levers), and the tops/flat section of the bars feel comparatively upright and the drops easy to reach without discomfort.

There are too many variables to just take any old person's 'oh, you'll be a 56' comments seriously - that's how I ended up riding with a 6" drop from saddle to bars and never finding a bike that fitted for the first couple of years of road riding. I'm only 5'10" but also have ~34" inside leg which means I either need a custom frame or I have to find a geometry that suits e.g. I'd need a 56cm specialized roubaix, or for a Canyon to fit, I'd need their size 58. As many would attest, that is not within the 'standard' realms of fit and I'd have dozens of posters on here telling me that I should be on a 54 without giving any consideration to the physical dimensions beyond height.