Wiggle / Kilo To Go Flat in the Fens

fludey
fludey Posts: 384
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
HI as anyone here done the Fen ride before, it says its flat but when you look at the profile of the ride it doesnt look flat.

Looking at doing the 77 miles ride but the most I have done so far is 50 so a little worried if its hilly that may not make the extra miles?

Done 45miles today on very hilly route with strong wind in the face, got 2 more 50 miles rides planned along coast before the 77 miler...what do you think go for it or more training needed?

Felt AR4
Planet X Pro Carbon 105
MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!

Comments

• mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    I think you would be fine... Longer rides are "easier" in a group, due to being able to draft, and because of the mentality of a longer ride...
    exercise.png
  • T-Rekster
    T-Rekster Posts: 110
    Ely Cathedral is known as the ship of the fen primarily because the Fenlands are so bloody flat the cathedral can be seen from over 30 miles away in places, you won't be having any problems with hills..

• RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    It could be the scale on the profile?

If the highest point on the route is not very high, then it makes a flat route looks very bumpy. I did a bike ride from Portsmouth to Brighton last year with the misses, it was very flat, but the profile looked really hilly until I pointed out the scale...
  • fludey
    Right will give it a go then....if all goes well then on to 100!

Must say it has took some sorting but have finally got seat just perfect, no knee or leg pains today.

Used the 25-30 deg bend method and have moved the seat forward some what as it was quite far back, knee now just sits forward of centre of pedal at 3 & 9 oclock....now to try and mirror this on my other bike!
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • velvetytoast
    velvetytoast Posts: 161
    It really is flat - the route this year is pretty much my ride home - don't worry about hills :lol:

If you want to ride with someone else for a bit of shelter (no hills but if its windy it may well be hard work on the out leg) PM me we (3) are doing the 100 but are happy to give some cover for a bit if you're interested
  • williamwasp
    williamwasp Posts: 40
    fludey wrote:
    HI as anyone here done the Fen ride before, it says its flat but when you look at the profile of the ride it doesnt look flat.

Looking at doing the 77 miles ride but the most I have done so far is 50 so a little worried if its hilly that may not make the extra miles?

Done 45miles today on very hilly route with strong wind in the face, got 2 more 50 miles rides planned along coast before the 77 miler...what do you think go for it or more training needed?

Is there a website for this ride?
  • fludey
    Thanks for the offer of shelter, should be doing it with 3 others myself so hopefully some shelter will be on offer!

For a website just do a search on Kilo To Go should find it easily the ride is listed on there.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • williamwasp
    Thanks for that.
  • williamwasp
    Fludey, I should have said, I know the route very well and there are 2/3 bumps between Somersham and Ramsey and thats about it. If you are not very fit they will probably make you blow for a couple of mins, but they are really nothing to worry about. As far as routes go, its about as flat as it gets.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Was brought up there.

It's the wind you want to worry about...
  • williamwasp
    Was brought up there.

Not to mention the Ramsey folk :!:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Was brought up there.

Not to mention the Ramsey folk :!:

Hah.

They're easy to spot though.

3 eyes and webbed feet.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    The area around Cambridge and the fens is extremely flat, you'll be fine. The only hills are going over bridges there haha!
  • fludey
    Right I hope your all telling the truth as hills are the death of me at the minute as trying to loose quite a few lbs!

But on the advice of everyone above I have clicked the yes button and entered!!

First big ride in a group and will be going past my so far 50 mile limit!

So 26th June I will ether be thanking or cursing you all :lol:

https://www.kilotogo.com/index.php
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
  • williamwasp
    fludey wrote:
    Right I hope your all telling the truth as hills are the death of me at the minute as trying to loose quite a few lbs!

But on the advice of everyone above I have clicked the yes button and entered!!

First big ride in a group and will be going past my so far 50 mile limit!

So 26th June I will ether be thanking or cursing you all :lol:

https://www.kilotogo.com/index.php

You only have to look at the route profile, there is a maximum of 30 metres difference between the lowest and highest point.