To Ride or Not To Ride?

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Ive really struggled with motivation early this year for various reasons, my winter rest ended up lasting from about November to May :shock: But around the end of April start of May i couldnt use the weather as an excuse anymore, with the warm spell we had, so i managed to dig out my bike one morning to do the commute, anyhow instantly fell back in love with cycling, been doing the commute most days and being glued to the Giro has only added to my new-found enthusiasm, so i thought with this bank holiday monday i should get out for my first weekend ride of the year and planned out a longish route to get some miles in my legs, been looking forward to it all week like a kid at chirstmas, only to find out that tomorrow is going to be a complete wash out 4am to 7pm, i planned to hit the road about 8am'ish but now my enthusiasm as been somewhat dampened, i only have a waterproof jacket, nothing for my legs and feet, but i really don't want the weather to get in the way, do i hit the ride waterproofless anyway, or do i admit defeat and have a lie-in? :?

Pis$ed off with the weather of late already, been windy constantly for most of May and not as warm and sunny as i'd like either, there better be some change on the way thats all ill say. :evil:

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I find riding in the rain is not too bad - depends on the force of the downpour - but generally is bearable. Do recommend though it is only bearable when you have the right gear on. As a minimum a waterproof jacket and overshoes as well as gloves would be my recommendation.

Wind, rain and cold though is a recipe for disaster and grinding to a complete halt if not prepared.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Get out there and ride for the satisfaction of beating both the winter blues and the elements. Short distance but 1 x 0 to you. Never turn down a challenge.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Get out there and ride for the satisfaction of beating both the winter blues and the elements. Short distance but 1 x 0 to you. Never turn down a challenge.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Didn't make it out early doors, but did manage to grab an hour on the road around 5pm. Covered up on top and was fine, should have gone our earlier! Next weekend is looking better...i think. :lol:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Don't have a winter rest :lol: Personally, cold isn't an issue for me but I hate the rain. I find setting off in the rain really difficult, but if I'm out and it starts I don't mind half as much. Make a deal with yourself: if you get a couple of miles in and you really are not enjoying it you can turn round and go home. Bet you stay out. The difficult bit is from bed to shed...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Should have joined us Sunday for tour de la Kibworth and Rutland! Lots of wind but stayed dry!
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Get yourself a MTB and ride that through the winter.

You'll get all sorts of technical ability, and get converted ;)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It has been windy, but in many parts of the country (e.g. Sheffield) it's been an extremely dry spring. No excuses for not getting out. Simply put, if you're not prepared to ride when the weather's not perfect you may as well give up cycling or move to a country with a more favourable climate.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Next winter, don't rest. It gets a bit nippy, but you'll find any rain isn't nearly as heavy as what we have this time of year.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    I did rain a major annoyance, a avoid it at all costs, but if it catches me already out, more often than not finishing my ride, I once even set a pb in the rain! (i have since improved on this time.)
    I don't have any water proof clothing, so if I'm not up to speed and warmed up I get very cold, which might be why I dislike it so much.
    My opinion is go out when its not raining, and make sure you are a good fifteen to thirty mins before it rains if possible, then you should be fine.
  • cryocon
    cryocon Posts: 46
    If it's wet or windy i just jump on my mountain bike and head to the nearest woods for a bit of off-roading. Don't have to worry about the wind and usually stay fairly dry.