hamstring tightness - be careful!!

saunaboy
saunaboy Posts: 116
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I've been on here a few times moaning about a spiralling set of injuries that have kept me off the bike since march. Basically...knee pain, hamstring inflammation in both knees, then tighness in groin & same old hamstring bother.

I thought I'd give you lot a heads-up on what seems to have gone wrong because it looks like it's starting to clear up & I don't want anyone on here to make the same mistake. Apologies if you all know this already.

Basically - the advice I was given to stretch out the tight hamstrings did the real harm. What had happened, was going from doing not a great deal to riding 100+ miles per week plus turbo training had given me a hip imbalance. Very strong quads, combined with tight hip flexors from sitting at a desk all day & on a bike at night had rotated the pelvis forwards. This overpowered the relatively untrained hammies and held them stretched until they went. The stretch also allowed the powerful thighs to exert even more influence. It also explains why my back felt like a 70 old's for the last year.

I got the breakthrough from a one on one pilates session. The teacher took one look at me & laughed. I was given a set of core exercises, plus hip flexor stretches and glute strengthening stuff. Nothing for the thighs except light work on the bike. I had virtually no strength in my arse & that looks to be underlying everything. After 3-4 days of the plan, I can feel things returning to normal & there's far less pull at the backs of the knees. Hopefully back on the bike next week or so once the hammies return to normal.

So be careful - a tight muscle isn't necessarily the one that needs the stretch!!!

Comments

• mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    Glad to head you're back on the road to recovery, and then hopefully the actual road!

I've recently been feeling tight in my hamstrings, and since I started my placement year where I sit at a desk all day have been getting discomfort in my lower back. I have attributed this to poor posture when sitting.
    Though I had a child hood of needing help with my feet and ankles as they roll inwards putting strain on my knees, hips and ultimatley lower back. I now rarely skimp on shoes, trainers, walking boots or cycling shoes I make sure they have the right arch support.
    I am going to have to start yoga or pilates!

Best of luck getting back on the bike.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I had a bad back last year/early this year. The sciatic nerve was catching, and sitting at my desk for an hour it could barely move, but once moving all was good. Great half-marathon time too.

Physio got me doing basic pilates moves (cat/horse/cobra etc), and also active isolated stretches for my hamstrings - which in this case solved the problem.

Glad to hear you are on the up - there is nothing worse than something that appears to be unsolvable. At one point I even asked the physio what the long term outlook was, and whether I would be ever be able to move after sitting for an hour.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    saunaboy wrote:
    Hi all,

I've been on here a few times moaning about a spiralling set of injuries that have kept me off the bike since march. Basically...knee pain, hamstring inflammation in both knees, then tighness in groin & same old hamstring bother.

I thought I'd give you lot a heads-up on what seems to have gone wrong because it looks like it's starting to clear up & I don't want anyone on here to make the same mistake. Apologies if you all know this already.

Basically - the advice I was given to stretch out the tight hamstrings did the real harm. What had happened, was going from doing not a great deal to riding 100+ miles per week plus turbo training had given me a hip imbalance. Very strong quads, combined with tight hip flexors from sitting at a desk all day & on a bike at night had rotated the pelvis forwards. This overpowered the relatively untrained hammies and held them stretched until they went. The stretch also allowed the powerful thighs to exert even more influence. It also explains why my back felt like a 70 old's for the last year.

I got the breakthrough from a one on one pilates session. The teacher took one look at me & laughed. I was given a set of core exercises, plus hip flexor stretches and glute strengthening stuff. Nothing for the thighs except light work on the bike. I had virtually no strength in my ars* & that looks to be underlying everything. After 3-4 days of the plan, I can feel things returning to normal & there's far less pull at the backs of the knees. Hopefully back on the bike next week or so once the hammies return to normal.

So be careful - a tight muscle isn't necessarily the one that needs the stretch!!!

I have had a similar experience. Stretching hamstrings \ Core and glute work really helps - you need to keep doing it though - even through winter
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I can recommend this for a decent strength and stretch routines:

http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Yoga-for-Cyclists.html

I supplement this with some dedicated core strength exercises from here:

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/st ... core1.html

That sees me through rides up to 600km without any serious discomfort (bar the obvious dead legs!), compared to the stiff back and issues with shoulders/arms that I'd occasionally experience on even 200km rides before building this into my routine. For me it's all about comfort over distances but I can imagine that this would pay even more dividends for anyone racing.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    this is a really interesting post, and im bloody pleased you have posted it!

i have been struggling for over a year now with back and hamstring trouble. i was trying to build up to a triathalon but started to suffer sharp pain down left hamstring. this gradually got worse and worse and spread in to base of my back. despite several months of physio, and an mri scan, it is still no better. i find i can ride bike but as soon as i finish im in trouble and can barely move. and i have been unable to run for the past 3 months!

i too sit at a pc in the office for 8hrs+ a day, but despite trying a set of stretches and months of physio, the pain just doesnt seem to improve. the dr has even put me on some epilepsy pills because they apparently have some effect on the nervous system and he thinks they will ease pain from the sciatic nerve.

no one had mentioned pilates to me but after reading this post i think it has to be worth a shot! i had honestly given up hope and was on verge of quitting. so thanks to the OP for his advice! god i hope this works!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi Saunaboy, good post and a worthwhile reminder that one can never get an expert diagnosis over the web. We all just post on our own experience but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is relevent or appropriate.

I am a big fan of osteopaths, not all the time because they are bloody expensive, but they do treat the body holistically and that is why, IMO, are worthwhile now and then (I guess a bit like your pilates experience).

A few years ago when playing a lot of 5 a side footy I got a (non impact) ankle injury, and then a knee injury, again with no impact, and then my calves started hurting. In the end I went to an osteopath at the end of my tether because the physio was diligently treating each injury but not preventing the next one. Turns out it was my lower back that had seized on one side and that was throwing my whole balance out causing all the problems. Got that sorted and that was the last of that batch of injuries.

I do still suffer from the occassional tight hamstring (apparently, a legacy from all the footy with warm down sessions spent in the bar) but I do find stretching to be very useful :wink:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    A muscle imbalance is unlikely to be sorted by stretching anyways.
    The 1 single exercise that will cure the glutes and hams is the 1 single exercise that both genders hate -
    the long stride lunge... done correctly to the best form, will cure most ills.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    My back pain pretty much disappeared after I started swimming, doing basic yoga (focusing on the core strengthening exercises) and push-ups, chin-ups and sit-ups.

The pain disappeared so I didn't bother to do the exercises anymore, and now I can't ride my bike hard without severe pain in my back. Needless to say I started doing the exercises again.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • saunaboy
    Glad to know the post was useful. I came into cycling from footy that in hindsight was a pretty good overall workout compared to cycling which is very specific. Like another poster said, paired with a desk job & it's a recipe for chronic issues. I've certainly learnt a valuable lesson & will keep up the exercises as the last 12 weeks have been rotten.

If this is useful to anyone, here is a summary of the views of people I've seen & more importantly, the exercises.

Physio...

1) Diagnosed as hamstring tendonitis/pes anserine at knee.
    2) General tightness in sartorius, and across hamstrings

Massage, ultrasound, release (ouch) did help, but only for short periods. Half an hour on the bike undid it all two or three times.

Pilates teacher...

1) very poor deep core strength under a superficially fit body
    2) huge imbalance between front & back
    3) weak bum
    4) shocking posture
    5) tendency to rotate legs inwards during exercise

Solutions...

1) Basic pilates core work. Supine leg drops/raises etc
    2) Supine shoulder glute raise bridge
    3) Clam exercise - lie on side & open up legs keeping feet together. Use glutes.
    4) Squats from kneeling (on knee pad)
    5) hip flexor stretches very gently. You can pull this very easily & end up with a damaged quad.
    6) Sit at work for no longer than 30min at a time. get up & move about.
    Two weeks of the exercises every day, then another visit to the pilates place to scale it up.

I have to admit, I'm a shy fella & going to the pilates was hard. But I would definitely recommend it if you can stand being deconstructed for an hour...!
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    Interesting thread...

I've suffered from lower back pain on and off when cycling and at other times for the last few years, and have focussed on bike setup to cure my ills, which on reflection was obviously only part of the problem.

This year my back has not felt good and again sitting at a desk all day is a major contributing factor. I now also get a sore back if I have to stand still for any length of time, for example at gigs. Lastly, I've noticed I don't seem to walk as briskly as I use to and I put this down to muscle tightness shortening my stride.

Obviously I need to do something to improve flexibility and core strength. The problem is finding a routine and exercises that I will stick with - there's so many options! I got a Body Control pilates book and stuck with that for a couple of weeks, but the concern here is that I'm not doing the exercises properly and to little effect.

I'll give some of the other suggestions here a try.
  • potters1863
    potters1863 Posts: 111
    Saunaboy,

If you had been stretching your hamstrings from early on you wouldn't have had tight hamstrings in the first place.

Cycling is notorious for working on various muscles except the hamstrings, this is why you need to do regular stretches when you have been riding to keep other muscles in check.

If you neglect to stretch your hamstrings regularly, you will suffer due to the strength of other muscles, you have to balance things. The same happens on different muscles in swimming, the ones not being used or strengthened give way to the ones that are and action should be taken to balance the over use of some muscles to the under use of others.
  • saunaboy
    potters,

I was stretching. That's the reason I posted - the issue wasn't with them, but with the neglected hip flexors. The hamstrings are/were in decent shape but had been progressively overpowered due to the specific nature of cycling. I think from the posts here we can conclude..

1) these issues are relatively common
    2) there is also commonly little progress in rehabbing them by stretching the allegedly affected part

You're right about the imbalance, that's what I was really getting at. Maybe cycling is prone to people getting into it, then going bonkers without really thinking about how their training is affecting them. That was certainly my issue.
  • potters1863
    saunaboy wrote:
    potters,

I was stretching. That's the reason I posted - the issue wasn't with them, but with the neglected hip flexors. The hamstrings are/were in decent shape but had been progressively overpowered due to the specific nature of cycling. I think from the posts here we can conclude..

1) these issues are relatively common
    2) there is also commonly little progress in rehabbing them by stretching the allegedly affected part

You're right about the imbalance, that's what I was really getting at. Maybe cycling is prone to people getting into it, then going bonkers without really thinking about how their training is affecting them. That was certainly my issue.

You`ve hit the nail on the head regarding the doing the exercise and then working on the muscles etc afterwards. Should be done to begin with.

My daughter used to do swimming at a good standard and due to lack of land training for exactly the same reasons, she has had to deal with the inbalance of certain muscles afterwards, which she does on a regular basis to balance the stronger and weaker muscles.

She is now a physiotherapist so offers me advice if and when I need it and has proved to be brilliant at keeping me cycle fit. Can't run anymore but I'm too old for that these days :D
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    When i was having rehab after breaking my back the physios always used to go on about working both sides of a muscle group equally to stop the inbalance from occuring and potentially causing other issues down the line.

As my spine has been fused i am very concious of this and do lots of core work as well as balance ball and leg strength training. But i also do lots of stretching as well, some days i will go to the gym and just stretch for an hour.

I guess if you have significant weakness though no amount of stretching will help as the underlying inbablance still remains.

Virtual diagnosis however good intentioned cannot be a substitute for seeing a real person for medical advice :wink:

You do see the inbalance in gyms a lot. Guys doing lots of chest and bicep work along with abs to look good on the beach or whatever but their shoulders are badly slumped forward due to a lack of balance to their routines.
  • potters1863
    colsoop wrote:
    When i was having rehab after breaking my back the physios always used to go on about working both sides of a muscle group equally to stop the inbalance from occuring and potentially causing other issues down the line.

As my spine has been fused i am very concious of this and do lots of core work as well as balance ball and leg strength training. But i also do lots of stretching as well, some days i will go to the gym and just stretch for an hour.

I guess if you have significant weakness though no amount of stretching will help as the underlying inbablance still remains.

Virtual diagnosis however good intentioned cannot be a substitute for seeing a real person for medical advice :wink:

You do see the inbalance in gyms a lot. Guys doing lots of chest and bicep work along with abs to look good on the beach or whatever but their shoulders are badly slumped forward due to a lack of balance to their routines.

Colsoop, how do you get on with cycling as a result of your spine being fused?

I crushed my L3 vertebrae 35 years ago and find that the cycling helps to keep the muscles in this area strong. My back is weak in some areas sharp twisting or lifting can be a problem but cycling appears to do it more good than bad.

May need mine fusing at some stage but hopefully not too soon and there are new treatments that may mean that fusing the spine is no longer required? Interesting that you are cycling after such a serious injury.
  • MrBibble
    MrBibble Posts: 79
    So would a broad spread of gym exercises help to combat this? I've been a regualr gym go-er for years and now workout at home due to costs but so far no pain/discomfrt from riding commute and 40+ miler at the weekend.My cardio trainer says ive clocked up 900 miles so far so i guess its all helping.
    "Goodmornings, sumo squats, front squats, leg extensions, hamm curls.... and thats just the legs!

Recently started doing kettlebells too as we bought the Kettleworx dvd set, good workouts and get you doing some non gym based moves, especially in the core area. Really good but dont get caried away with the weight of the bell, my 12kg kills me and some moves i have to use the girlfriends 3kg one lol !
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217

Colsoop, how do you get on with cycling as a result of your spine being fused?

I crushed my L3 vertebrae 35 years ago and find that the cycling helps to keep the muscles in this area strong. My back is weak in some areas sharp twisting or lifting can be a problem but cycling appears to do it more good than bad.

May need mine fusing at some stage but hopefully not too soon and there are new treatments that may mean that fusing the spine is no longer required? Interesting that you are cycling after such a serious injury.

Doing lots of stretching and strength training on my legs and back due to the injury my back is probably stronger than before the accident :lol:

I do get very tight hamstrings and if im seated on a hill and get out the saddle too quick its a bit uncomfortable. All minor issues really.
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Like some of the above you guys should all try to fit in some Yoga or pilates.

Its all about stretching and loosening the tight muscles and strengthens the noes you use less often.

You might not think it macho but do you want to halt your favourite sport due to injury?

Have a look at P90X on the webby, if you can find the vids online the there is a 1.5 hours yoga session and a 1.2 hours stretch session that works wonders. Plus an awsome legs workout!

Xom
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • Hi,

After doing a search I came across this post. I think I am also suffering from Pes Anserine Bursitis, and weak deep core etc / tight hamstrings.

How are you getting on now, seeing as it has been a few months since last update?

Anyone else with similar symptoms / treatment advice?