What is more sensible?

wtsellers
wtsellers Posts: 5
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
What is more sensible? A back pack or a jersey?

I am doing a 168 mile trip to the Isle of Wight this summer and I need to carry some spares, food, water etc. Since it is going to be hot (hopefully) I was thinking it may be a bad idea to take a bag because of the sweaty back and weight. Shouldn't it be easier just shoving a few cereal bars in the back of my top??

Cheers

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I pretty much always ride with a bag, I don't have the sweaty back syndrome more with the bag so to say, as long as you get a cycling specific one that has the air flow channels on the back, something along the lines of a camelback.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not just pack a load of stuff in your jersey and some money too? Plan to eat/drink on the go where needed and stop at the odd cafe or shop for a much needed stretch out/toilet break and then replenish the stock, which would also make an enjoyable day out of it?

Personally, I would hate to do a 168M with a backpack in the summer but maybe that is just me.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'd never do it with a backpack.

Jersey pockets for food and saddle bag for tubes / tool.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Milese wrote:
    I'd never do it with a backpack.

Jersey pockets for food and saddle bag for tubes / tool.

+1
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Jersey.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    When I do my long rides I use a camelback bag. Has a 1.5l bladder, which I use for drinks, and enough space to stick in a minipump, small lock, puncture stuff, some food, a spare layer.

I also wear a jersey and stick an open bag of Jelly Snakes in to snack on during the ride.

You could always get a small saddle bag for some money and puncture stuff?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Why not just get a large seat pack ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mikeyboy12345
    mikeyboy12345 Posts: 187
    All in one day?! If so, then a saddle bag should do it (in my Topeak Aero wedge lives pre-glued patches, 2xtyre levers, chain tool, spoke wrench, spare inner, jacket, multi-tool, mobile, cards, and cash). Jersey pockets for food and map.

An overnight stop, however, will likely need a backpack. Can you fit a light rack to your bike? Always better to carry luggage on the bike if you can. Even a small seatpost-mounted rack should be enough for an overnight stop, providing you're not in a tent!
  • Jersey
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Saddle bag and a little bag you can get from ebay that goes over the top tube , enough room in them for some gels, keys etc etc and a phone.

I used one the other week on a sportive and i had my keys,phone, 2 gels and 2 energy bars with room to spare.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Cycling-Bicy ... 4840a319a5
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Also depends on what clothing you are carrying, if you are going to be taking normal clothes etc with you then it might be a good idea just to go for comfort and go for a rack+ pannier bags.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    jersey

cafe stops for food, water, espresso, coke, cake
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Support car
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    This question is filed under "Road Beginners" and you are asking about what to carry stuff in for a 168 mile ride? :shock:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This question is filed under "Road Beginners" and you are asking about what to carry stuff in for a 168 mile ride? :shock:

To be fair to the OP, there isn't a forum marked "Road cyclists who would value some thoughts from their fellow cyclists". I am not sure though at what point one changes from being a beginner into a cyclist, perhaps that is the start of another thread...although I am not sure where to post it :wink:
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Don't take a bag, especially if you are on a road bike (stress on your lower back) A jersey for food, money, phone, arm warmers and gilet, saddle bag for inner tube CO2 tyre levers allen keys, bottle cages for; bottles.

I only ever take my camel back on mountain bike rides where I am sitting more upright and I have a habbit of more gear failure and needing more clothing.

good luck with the ride
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Seat pack for your spare tubes, multi-tool etc. 2 bottle cages and pump mounted on frame. You should have enough room left in your back pockets for enough food, rolled-up jacket etc to see you through 3 hours of riding. When it runs out, stop and fill-up. It's easy to tell beginners because they're simply over-laded with stuff, which is heavy and consumes energy simply carrying it. The benefits of regular stops is recovery - your average speed will probably still be quicker with a 20-30 minute break every 3 hours that trying to do it straight through without stopping.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I used one of these http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TriBag_raincover on a recent sportive. It held gels, phone, keys, cash card, I think its great for those longer trips as it frees up some more room in your jersey pockets!!
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TriBag_raincover