Coed Llandegla

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Tomorrow I am going to Coed Llandegla with a couple of mates, I have a few reservations due to my lack of experience, my mates are adrenaline junkies and i am a bit concerned i may not be able to keep up with them, or push my self to hard and do some serious damage, I would be happy to off and do the red run at my own pace, but I am sure they are going to try and convince me to give the black run a go.

I have limited off road experience and where as they ride FS i ride a HT, I want to go and have as much fun as possible as it will be a great introduction to off roading, the whole reason i bought my bike in the first place but i dont want to look an idiot.

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated

TIA

Mr N00b

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Llandegla is quite an easy blast and good fun. if you're not confident enough you can roll the jumps. If there's something you don't want to do, don't do it.
  • toastedone
    Yeah my mates are pretty cool, and i am sure they wouldn't take the P to much
  • toastedone
    Hmmm the weather is crap, im sure it will still be fun in the wet if not more of an experience
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    llandegla is fine in the wet, the surface is so well done it makes almost no difference.

im not a very confident or good rider and degla is one of my fave places to ride, its very accessible for novices and expeincd riders.alike. more experienced riders can make it a bit more challenging by going faster, novices can take everything abit more carefully and easily rolling over each of the obstacles.

if you are presented with something you dont like the look of: get off and walk a bit, sorted.
  • toastedone
    I am looking forward to it, just waiting for my lift, I will take some pics if i rememebr
  • sheepsteeth
    the first cliimb is quite long, probably about half an hour but it is well worth it, you will have a blast.
  • TQ
    TQ Posts: 15
    There is a diversion in place on the red trail that takes you across an unsurfaced section.

This is just grass/exposed black soil and roots, makes for some tough riding as its quite soft.

At the end of this there is a small section 5-10m of just black bog, I carried my bike over this as it looked too soft to ride. The rest was good as usual when I went on Saturday.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    The new black section is a bit slippy when its wet. Last time I was there a couple of weeks ago I nearly ended up stacking it slipping sideways coming off one of the jumps.

I do like Llandegla though. Great for just balls out fun without worrying about anythnig too technical. Like other people have already said, even on the blacks, there is nothing you can't just roll if you don't feel up to it.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    ^ all the above....

The red is not to challanging no big drops and can be rolled at a decent speed. They have put a bit of work in in the last few weeks and added some new berms near the end and the trail pixies are working on the mid section so a muddy diversion is in place....the black is great with nice long desents..though the climb back out is a pain in the ass and makes a brew at the end welcomed !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • toastedone
    well i am back and alive, nothing broken and no falls, We had a great time, I done all the black sections but admittedly i rolled the jumps, it was wet muddy but in my opinion that added to the fun, i took a few pics not as many as i would have liked..

I would deffo go back and i think next time i would have the confidence to go that little bit faster.

A good day out

img0030jn.jpg

img0031ed.jpg

img0033cy.jpg

img0034un.jpg

img0036vr.jpg

img0039yj.jpg
  • sheepsteeth
    glad you had a good day.

i always wish id gone a bit faster and rode a bit more of the upwards stuff by the time i get to the end
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glad you enjoyed yourself.
  • toastedone
    Thanks, I bricked it on the bridge lol, then took a deep breath and went for it, that was my only hairy moment.

The pic below is not me it is just the point I thought Hmmm

mikebike.jpg
  • Anonymous
    When you see it from that angle, I bet you're wandering what all the fuss was about eh!
  • toastedone
    yep very very true, I showed my mrs and she said it don't look that bad.
  • Anonymous
    Funny, I showed mine to your missus, and she said it was massive, and that she'd be scared to fall off whilst riding it :lol:
  • toastedone
    I wondered why one of my kids was born saying Bhaaa Bhaaa
  • Anonymous
    That one wasn't mine. Any child of mine is born screaming obscenities and maths equations :lol:
  • toastedone
    Oh i thought that child was mine, dam
  • TQ
    TQ Posts: 15
    No helmets lads?

Sounds like I just need to MTFU and ride the black route then.

Realised I have been doing the black jumps in JJ's jump section when I have been going without realising.
  • earls
    earls Posts: 48
    Seeing that boardwalk/bridge sends shivers down my spine. Broke my wrist coming out the other end after sliding on some rocks. That was 8 months and 2 operations ago. Back on my bike about 10 days ago and waiting for another operation in september to make my thumb work again.
    If I wasn't wearing a helmet that day I reckon I'd be dead.

Can't wait to go again!
  • toastedone
    Out of the 4 of us that went i was the only one wearing a helmet, i couldn't believe the others didn't.
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    I wont ride my bike ANYWHERE without my lid.

I have a family member in a coma with head injuries after being knocked off his bike. A helmet may have helped. 5 months on and numerous operations still hasn't come round