Trek TCT 5000 - Which components to upgrade first?

jclem
jclem Posts: 33
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I have a Trek TCT 5000 - probably about 5 years old - which I've been using for sprint triathlon and a few sportives and am looking at either upgrading some of the components.

Would really appreciate your views on which parts would be best to target first?
I've not changed anythings since having it and it has a mix of Bontrager, Ultegra and 105.
The link below shows ful spec:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2007/archive/5000

I guess I'm caught between spending money on parts or leaving the Trek as a winter trainer and saving cash for a new TT/Tri bike.

What do you think?
Work Bike - Kona Honky Tonk 11
Weekend Bike - Trek TCT5000

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Keep it as it is unless stuff is broken on it, for winter and sportives, then, if you are doing triathlons, get a TT bike...

Just my tuppence worth!
  • jclem
    Cheers Napoleon,

I was leaning towards that option but probably just wanted to buy some new shiny bits.

You're a star.
  • Anonymous
    If you are wanting to buy new shiny bits then try building a TT bike from the frame up by scouring ebay / bikeradar classifieds / time trial forum classifieds / shop sales etc.

Take your time over it to get exactly the parts you want.

Always very satisfying when it all comes together nicely :)

Plus, you also learn how (if you don't already) to build a bike and carry out maintenance... (That's how I learnt...)

All good!
  • jclem
    Building bike from frame is something else I'm inspired to do after reading article in mag -Cycling Plus, I think.

A new thread may soon be started discussing the merits or catches with buying 'cheap' carbon frames from the Far East.
  • Anonymous
    There's plenty of threads on that! That's what I'd be doing FWIW.