Too light or new tyres?

Mr Blister
Mr Blister Posts: 25
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I have recently got a "new to me" Roubaix S works frameset the bike is all built up now. I have also gotten a set of "new to me" Kyserium elite SL wheels.

My problem is this; The bike rides beautifully up hill, it accelerates fantastically on the flat but descending, especially with any wind is a nightmare, It has already caused me one crash and a couple of near misses. I also mountain bike so consider myself to have pretty good bike handling ability. I have been riding for about 13 years and have never really experience any problems like it before. The bike literally skips when it gets caught in a cross wind. I'm wondering if the problem is that me and the bike are too light? I know that sounds ridiculous but I only weigh 8st 2 so i would guess i have a bike and rider weight of less than 10st. I also wondered if it might be the tyres, the wheels came with a set of Michelin Pro race. The whole situation is really starting to wreck my riding!

So is it the weight or the tyres and if it is the tyres and if it is the tyres what would people recommend that is going to be fast but secure!

07 Specialized Roubaix S - Works - With Kysrium SL's
Iceni Reynolds 520 commuter/ tourer
DMR Trailstar
If it has wheels I'll ride it!!

Comments

• Avanti Roman
    Avanti Roman Posts: 189
    Couple of thoughts:

1) Tyre pressures too high for your weight?
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3802

2) Tyres - I my Vittoria Rubino Pros much better in the wet than my old Pro Races - particularly on dirty wet roads where grit & mud would unsettle the Michelins.

3) Try some wheels with round non bladed spokes.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I weigh a little more and yes, can be blown about a bit but expect a lot is down to your position on the bike - tuck down low to present a lower profile as well as getting more weight over the front wheel.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • B1ghubba
    B1ghubba Posts: 61
    Eat more pies.
    I used to have this problem when I weighed 9 stone, everytime it was windy and I cycled past a gap in the hedgerow.
    Now I weigh 11 stone and it isn't a problem.
  • Mr Blister
    Mr Blister Posts: 25
    B1ghubba, I'll work on that! :wink:

It doesn't seem to be a problem on my tourer even though I am more upright, the bike does weigh considerably more though.
    07 Specialized Roubaix S - Works - With Kysrium SL's
    Iceni Reynolds 520 commuter/ tourer
    DMR Trailstar
    If it has wheels I'll ride it!!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think the bladed spokes can catch the wind a bit compared to standard spokes as someone mentioned above - but it's unsettling more than dangerous so long as you stay relaxed. The combination of that plus the light weight probably does make it a bit more jittery in a cross wind than your tourer but honestly if you just relax you'll find it's fine.

I doubt the tyres have anything to do with it - ProRace are quality tyres and plenty of people use them as their race day rubber.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You could try sticking two 750mm filled water bottles in your cages when it is windy and then just drinking from a smaller bottle stuffed on your back. That would give you some low down ballast which may help. When the weather is fine, don't bother and you will feel like you are flying :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had Ksyrium SLs for years and never experienced any problems in cross-winds - certainly nothing like a 50mm rim in a 30mph cross-wind.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..