Mavic Aksium Wheels don't seem very stiff, normal?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
I got these wheels on my new bike last week.

Seem OK and I know they're basically entry level wheels but they don't seem very stiff as in they flex from side to side under load.

By this I mean if I stand up and sprint, as the bike rocks from side to side I can hear a vibrating noise from the back wheel, almost like the spokes are loose (but they don't seem to be). Same thing happens if I corner hard(ish).

Also the front is flexing as I can hear the magnet for the computer touching the sensor.

Is this normal for cheapish road wheels, am I expecting too much?

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    How much to you weigh?

I doubt that's normal for any low end wheels let alone Mavics. Can you hear the brake blocks touching the rim when you sprint or get out of the saddle to climb?
  • Anonymous
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    How much to you weigh?

I doubt that's normal for any low end wheels let alone Mavics. Can you hear the brake blocks touching the rim when you sprint or get out of the saddle to climb?

I am quite heavy, I'm about 110Kg (I'm 6'6"). I haven't heard the brakes rubbing, but I'll listen more closely for it today when I'm out.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Aksiums are only ever going to be training wheels, i weigh bang on 10 stone and im 6,2, use them through the winter, you can really feel the wobble if im sprinting, might be an idea to fork out a bit more money on a stronger pair if your sprinting hard at your weight, sounds like they are itching to explode.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    JRooke wrote:
    Aksiums are only ever going to be training wheels, i weigh bang on 10 stone and im 6,2, use them through the winter, you can really feel the wobble if im sprinting, might be an idea to fork out a bit more money on a stronger pair if your sprinting hard at your weight, sounds like they are itching to explode.

Bloody hell - you need a good meal!
  • Anonymous
    JRooke wrote:

That could be it then. I'm about 17 stone, so if you feel them wobble it's stands to reason I will.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait for my finances to recover a bit and I'll start to look in the classifieds.

Are the more expensive wheels such as Kysiums stiffer?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I have Askiums on my Super Six and weigh 89KG. I've never felt them flex ever. If yours do then they need a visit to a wheel smith IMHO.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    I've ridden my Aksium's for 18months and weigh 12stones.

Mine do flex, especially noticeable when building up speed out of the saddle, and when climbing (can hear rim rubbing on the brakes, which are not set up too close!) They have remained relatively true and reliable.

It would seem you might benefit from a stronger wheel at your weight, especially if you're strong rider.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Anonymous
    Slack wrote:
    I've ridden my Aksium's for 18months and weigh 12stones.

Mine do flex, especially noticeable when building up speed out of the saddle, and when climbing (can hear rim rubbing on the brakes, which are not set up too close!) They have remained relatively true and reliable.

It would seem you might benefit from a stronger wheel at your weight, especially if you're strong rider.

I'd like to think I'm a strong ride, sadly just heavy.

I am thinking about taking the rear wheel in to a shop, that's the one that's really bothering me.

One thing I have noticed is the rear seems fine cornering, no matter how fast/hard I corner it seems fine (contrary to what I originally said ), it's just out of the saddle riding they cause problems.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Yea its exactly the same for me Richard, cornering is fine, front wheel don't notice a thing but rear wheel I can feel the wobble, but its only when I really hit out a bit of pace, and its nothing major. Just spent the week building the new GB training bikes and they are all using the new ksyrium equipe, i guess that would be an excellent upgrade. But as for the aksiums, I've never ever been worried about them, never so much had to true it up in over a year and i ride every day, i just know their limits and swap them out come race day.
  • Anonymous
    JRooke wrote:
    Yea its exactly the same for me Richard, cornering is fine, front wheel don't notice a thing but rear wheel I can feel the wobble, but its only when I really hit out a bit of pace, and its nothing major. Just spent the week building the new GB training bikes and they are all using the new ksyrium equipe, i guess that would be an excellent upgrade. But as for the aksiums, I've never ever been worried about them, never so much had to true it up in over a year and i ride every day, i just know their limits and swap them out come race day.

Cool, thanks. That's exactly the same as me.

Have you tried Ksyrium Equipes yet? Are they a lot better?