Canyon Nerve - Suspension Main Bearing Torque

supaweb
supaweb Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I recently bought a Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 and am really pleased with the overall performance. But...

After a few rides - just the usual trail centre stuff, 7-stanes etc, the rear suspension developed some play mid-ride.

I managed to isolate this to the main bearing / pivot joining the rocker arm to the seat-tube.

Being a long way from home and worried about riding with the bearings loose, I re-tightened the bearing - to approx 5Nm.

The manuals supplied with the bike don't go into any detail beyond initial shock setup - so although I am separately contacting Canyon, I thought I'd get some advice here too. Also having only owned / ridden hardtails for many years, I'm still on the full sus learning curve.

Questions -
1. Is it normal for bearings on full-suspension bikes to require periodic re-tightening?
2. Are there any ways to prevent loosening - e.g. use of loctite etc?
3. How accurately do these type of bearings need to be tightened?

Cheers

Comments

• Jack Sheet
    Jack Sheet Posts: 11
    edited May 2011
    Deleted.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is very normal for suspension bolts to need checking. They should be checked very often, preferably before every ride.

Hopefully Canyon can provide the torques.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    It is very normal for suspension bolts to need checking. They should be checked very often, preferably before every ride.
    Really?
    I must be living in a parallell universe!
  • supaweb
    Ok thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll certainly check the bolts pre-ride from now on.

I guess at this stage I can't rule out that during factory assembly the bolt wasn't torqued correctly initially.

However, whilst it is definitely a good idea to check the bolts pre-ride, I have no expectation of frequently needing to tighten them. I would interpret repeated loosening as an indicator of a significant underlying issue.

I'll report back on how things work out!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I looked at the manual and they recommend to check them once a month, but have omitted the torques. I guess they are not written on the bike!
  • supaweb
    Just checked all over the frame and there is nothing that I can see written.

I'm guessing some other manufacturers do this - is a really good idea!