Giant TCR 1 2011 or Bianchi Via Nirone 7 105 2011

dunc69
dunc69 Posts: 15
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello all - first post!

I currently own a 2008 Specialized Allez Sport. It has served me very, very well, but I have decided to keep it for train commutes & longer winter commutes (15 miles each way) and upgrade to a new summer commute / sportive bike.

I've narrowed it down to the two in the title and would like to know your thoughts guys & girls on the pros & cons of both.

I appreciate that they are similarly specced, and priced and that the advice will no doubt be to ride them both (I intend to in the next week or so), but is there an obvious choice for you guys, or something I should know that I may have missed?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated!

Dunc.

Comments

• dunc69
    Anyone? Or should I be posting somewhere else?

Thanks, Dunc.
  • Tillynaught
    Tillynaught Posts: 24
    I'm taking out a TCR 1 Advanced for a test ride on Thursday, i'm trying it against a Wilier Gran turismo will let you know how the TCR feels.
  • dunc69
    Thanks Tillynaught! My two choices are at about £1200, but I will be interested in how you find the Giant's geometry!

Cheers.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Had the same question about the TCR 1 after taking it for a test spin and really enjoying it. I didn't get any responses either! Lots of good feedback on it from people I speak to in bike shops.

I've also had a brief ride on an Allez, and would say that the TCR has a slightly more relaxed geometry. Very quick though.

Then again, a Bianchi will always be a Bianchi....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • dunc69
    Fuggler thanks for the thoughts on the TCR1.

As for your comments on the Bianchi, do you mean that you're a fan of them, or not?

I have noted that the TCR1 weighs 8.8kg & the Bianchi 9.3kg. Not much in it, but with my Spesh at 9.12, not sure if I'd want to go heavier for my newer (better!) bike.....
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Test them both first. When I was looking I tried Treks, Orbeas, Cannondales and a few others. 56cm bikes seemed too small and 58cm too stretched - I'm 6 foot. Bianchi have sizes in odd numbers e.g. 57cm - I was directed to Bianchis by a friend who had seen one on offer (they weren't on my list of bikes before), and as soon as I tried it I could tell it felt a much better fit than the other bikes I had tried. So all I am suggesting is unless both fit you identically comparing the two is fairly irrelevant.

If they both fit you the same, you can then compare kit etc., though a quick look suggests that they are fairly similarly specced, and both are eminently upgradeable.

After that make your decision based on looks - I've had loads of admiring comments about my Bianchi from fellow riders - as you're going to have to live with it for a feww years.
  • dunc69
    Update. I had basically gone for the Giant and was arranging a test ride when the salesman (who I know very well) pulled out a Giant TCR Composite 2 for me to look at. Talk about tempting me! What a beautiful bike!! Very light (well to me at least) and 105 all round including chainset.

He has offered me 20% off and subject to a successful test ride & a no-doubt lengthy conversation with my wife, it seems too good a deal to turn down.

Anyone with any experience of the 2011 Composite 2?

Any views / thoughts much appreciated.
  • I got a TCR Composite 2 in April. It's my first road bike in ages (replaces a Giant FCR) and I love it. Planning on doing some Sportives and long rides this summer. Only upgrade so far is the brakes to full 105 (standard Tektro) and a Fizik saddle.

Highly recommended!
  • dunc69
    Thanks Kevin. Great to have some positive feedback. Hope you enjoy it this summer.

Looks like I can get it for £1320 which seems almost too good to turn down!

Just weighing up the carbon deals on Ribble before I take the plunge!
  • dunc69
    Okay guys, I feel a new thread coming on! Giant carbon vs Ribble carbon?