sleeve length

jhoyle
jhoyle Posts: 39
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
does it make much difference wearing long sleeves compared to short? i've run out of money after buying shorts so i want a jersey that will do me summer and winter, but dont want to overheat during summer :S could i wear a long sleeve jersey all year round?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    No. What you want is a short sleeve jersey and armwarmers.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    P_Tucker wrote:
    No. What you want is a short sleeve jersey and armwarmers.

+1. Using arm warmers with a short sleeve jersey or leg/knee warmers with (bib) shorts gives you an adaptable & versatile cycling wardrobe...sorry turned into Gok Wan for a moment! :oops:
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • jhoyle
    jhoyle Posts: 39
    heh, thanks guys, will invest in some arm warmers, i think i'll live with shorts, was out in the snow in my mtb shorts this year and survived ;)
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    jhoyle wrote:
    heh, thanks guys, will invest in some arm warmers, i think i'll live with shorts, was out in the snow in my mtb shorts this year and survived ;)

I begin to wonder why humanity ever bothered to 'invent' suitable clothing for the appropriate seasons.................
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742

I begin to wonder why humanity ever bothered to 'invent' suitable clothing for the appropriate seasons.................

I've seen so many people in the coldest weather cycling in shorts who obviously believe that since they're on their bikes they must wear shorts.

A bit like the posties who wear shorts all year round. :shock:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Lillywhite wrote:

I've seen so many people in the coldest weather cycling in shorts who obviously believe that since they're on their bikes they must wear shorts.

Saw someone in longs this morning
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Lillywhite wrote:

I used to be a postie. Being seen wearing shorts in the snow is a badge of honour thing.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Last summer I went out to watch the Classica San Sebastian. The day before the race I happened upon Euro cycling GOD Filippo Pozzato, presumably familiarising himself with the Jaizkibel in preparation. Depsite the fact that it was 20+ degrees, he was in longs - illutrating that, unless one is racing, one should be in the MOST clothing that one can reasonably wear in the conditions - because it shows that you spend most of the time riding in 25+ degrees plus, which is obviously uber-Euro. Although I was at my PEAK of Euro - white & pink team kit, white Sidi Ergo 2s, Campagnolo cap, rudy project sunnies, Assos gloves - I felt utterly DWARFED simply because he had longs on.

It is also spectacularly Euro to wear legwarmers in a race that you are riding only for training.

Hope this helps.