Have you gone fast enough on a bike to...

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
...set off one of those roadside speed control signs that light up "TOO FAST!"?

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Nope, but once I must have hit a critical speed as I went back in time. Well, that's what the Isle of Wight looked like !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    Yes - I was laughing for the next mile. Going down a descent into a village with the obligatory 30MPH round sign - plus a speedo display. I was doing 38.

Then I hit 88mph afterwards and it all went strange.... like I'd gone back in time
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I've set them off a few times back home but I think they are set to pick up speeds pretty low! Haven't noticed any ones that flash up your speed whilst I've been on the bike, just the ones warning you that you're too fast and tell you to slow down.

There's one road back home, long and twisty 60mph road for cars but 30mph on the corners - all the flashing signs are placed at the exits to corners and on the descents, far to easy to get the speed up to set them off, crap placement as far as i'm concerned
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I regularly sprint to one way out in the sticks. There are hundred yard markers and maybe a 1% downhill leading to it. I got to 31mph on a sprint a couple of days ago. I think my best has been mid 30's with a glorious tailwind.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Yes in a 30 mph zone, I looked at my computer and I was doing 18mph :oops:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Yes coming into a small Devon village on the Tour of Britain last summer....I was only doing the 70km Honiton to Teignmouth route though and not the longer Minehead route!

I think I was doing about 35-36mph.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Usually happens when in a group. Set a load off last year when riding over to Sheffield - got 40 flashing in a 30. :twisted:
  • alex1
    alex1 Posts: 25
    on rose lane by mcdonals on the flat at 30mph....wasnt even on the drops :wink::wink:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    One has been put in place in the village, I will soon be doing sprint practice.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Yeh 30+ up hill.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    cadseen wrote:
    Fastest i been downhill was 58mph, and i got dropped !!!!

yeah, sorry about that :lol:
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Not to be told to slow down but I was clocked at 26mph on the MTB coming in to my village.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Yep, into the village of Cocking, at the bottom of a nice descent, it's almost impossible not to set it off.
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    Cressers wrote:

NO, but i went thru some lights once once and got flashed by a Gatso !!!!!
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • williamwasp
    williamwasp Posts: 40
    Cressers wrote:

I cycled through Chatteris (in the Fens) last week and there was a mental old women standing at the side of the road, holding up a 'SPEED KILLS' sign to passing traffic. She held it up to me as cycled by at 17.6 mph. Does this count :?:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Yep, into the village of Cocking, at the bottom of a nice descent, it's almost impossible not to set it off.
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Not to be told to slow down but I was clocked at 26mph on the MTB coming in to my village.

Love n hugs

DD

What a coincidence, DD had just come from Cocking.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I've set a few off, some even flash my speed which is like a red rag to a bull :lol:
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Triggered the a road corner warning SLOW DOWN speed sign and speed (37 mph) coming off Clee Hill down Angel Bank a week ago as approaching a sharp bend :)
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Regularly get the sad face on one near my house, but it is in a 30 kmh zone. I work on a large industrial estate, and they occasionally put one on a road on site. I see it as a challenge.
  • AlunJ
    AlunJ Posts: 40
    We have loads of the ones that flash your speed up round by me, it seems you can set them off at 20mph :)
    Alun

Road: Dolan L'Etape Carbon 105
    MTB: 2016 Voodoo Hoodoo