Loctite ?

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all

After cleaning and regreasing my BB and crank assembly last weekend, i found that the non drive side crank was a little loose after my first 20 miles. Have tightened up a tad more, and seems to be fine (for now).

Clamp bolts on the non-drive side (cranks are SLX) were greased again after a good clean, but im thinking that maybe a bit of Loctite would keep things in place.

Question is, should i be using Loctite on the two clamp bolts ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Did you set it to the correct torque using a torque wrench?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like poor fitting.

was the right hand crank fully pushed home?

as the pinch bolts do help clamp the preload bolt in place making things a bit harder to come loose.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    pretty sure it was pushed right through

am using a BB mounted chain guide at the moment, but that replaces spacers that used to be there
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Loctite is generally used for lower torque bolts that need to stay in place. On mine it's stuff like pivot lock bolts and the rear shock bolts.

See if you can get the tech manuals for the bits and pieces, as they often have torque figures listed and sometimes whether loctite is required (at least mine does).

In the case of my GXP BB it goes the other way where the torque is pretty high on the self extractor bolt on the crank, that the use of anti-seize grease is recommended. Loctite would just make it even worse to get off.